NEW: Better way to help you spot changes in PowerPoint decks available for Fast Insiders on Windows desktop

Hi Insiders,

I’m Lishan Yu, Program Manager in PowerPoint team. For those of you enrolled in the Fast builds, I’m excited to introduce a new PowerPoint collaboration feature that helps you spot what’s changed in your presentation. (For those of you enrolled in the Slow builds, you’ll get that feature in a week or two.)

As you probably already noticed, documents are shared more and more in this increasingly collaborative world. When you review a shared presentation, you may find yourself wondering what has changed since your last visit. Starting with Version 1708 (Build 8403.1000), PowerPoint can help you quickly identify what’s changed, by which person, and at what time.

Try collaborating with someone on a OneDrive or OneDrive for Business presentation, and see their changes being highlighted as they work.

Requirements:   

• This feature is available for Office 365 subscribers, using PowerPoint for Windows desktop.
  • Both collaborators must be running Microsoft Office Version 1708 (Build 8403.1000) or higher. Otherwise, the feature won't work or the highlight color may appear slightly different.

If you'd like to read more about this feature, you can check out this help article.

We’d love your feedback, so please let us know how you think. To get in touch, do any of the following:

• Inside the app, click File -> Feedback
  • Respond to this post or tweet at @OfficeInsider

Cheers!

Lishan, on behalf of the PowerPoint Feature Crew

Wow. Hours and hours of savings.
Worse I often scan dozens of decks or start over thinking I've lost a slide.
Great new feature - have been waiting for a long time for something like this! When collaborating on slides and sending them out for review, it has always been very tricky to track what has been happening and to merge the changes again.

While this is a good first step, I'm not sure if the feature already goes far enough. The video shows that if there's a change in a table filled with numbers, it would only highlight that the table has been changed somewhere. Especially in financial presentations, you'd then still need to manually compare and find what exactly has been changed.

Most useful would actually be something like the track changes feature of Word, where you can exactly see what has been changed by whom. Plus, it's rather limiting if it only works with files on OneDrive. In theory, it'd of course be great if that would work with everyone; but in practice with working with externals, it's often for example not allowed to share files on OneDrive for Business outside the company, so only the traditional email-method works; where the new track changes feature then doesn't help, as far as I understand?

Thank you for trying out the feature and sharing your thoughts!

This feature is currently scoped to files located in OneDrive or OneDrive for Business, but I'm adding your request of "making it work everywhere" in our backlog. This is definitely not the end -- our team has been monitoring user feedback via multiple channels, and we are actively planning for the next version to help you further understand how the content of your presentation has evolved.

Again, thank you for your comments!

-Lishan

Discussion Info

Last updated October 8, 2020 Views 435 Applies to: