Office Insiders Windows desktop release notes!

Hey Insiders, they're here!!!

Check out our first batch of release notes for Windows desktop previews.

Insider release notes for Office 2016 for Windows desktop

Here are some highlights

• Excel's new Insights feature uses machine learning to help you analyze and suggests charts to better understand your data. In by Popular Request, you can now deselect any cells in a range with the Deselect Tool.
  • Outlook improves group conversations by making them load faster, and you can double click to open the latest message in its own window.
  • For all versions, we've moved the version number. So when you click File>Account, you'll now see the version number next to the About <app> button.

We're starting off a little slow for the holidays, but hope to be in full swing after the first of the year.

Let us know what you think of the new features, release note feedback, and what you want for the new year!!!

Thanks

Discussion Info

Last updated September 11, 2018 Views 2,371 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Nice, especially a simple thing like making the version more obvious.

Version 1712 (Build 8911.2016), for those wondering.

Although, some kind bolding or highlighting would make it stand out more. It's pretty subtle now. I'm just thinking of all those times I tried to get versions of software from people over the phone or in chat. It's often a struggle.

Hi Rseiler,

I agree about the struggle. Good suggestion. I've tried to get version numbers from iPad, iPhone, and Android, and those are even tougher.

--Jay M
Insider forum moderator

It's also a struggle to get the right version ;)

Thanks for the screen shot!

--Jay M
Insider forum moderator

Loving both the deslection feature in Excel and opening group messages in a new window in Outlook. Can now easily print vs having to fake-forward/print/delete draft to print a message.
64 bit Office 365, Insider Builds
Surface Pro 4, i7, 16GB Ram

It seems the frown face facility isn't working. I click on it, click "Send a frown" and nothing happens.

But what I don't like is, at least on an HDPI display, the Excel formula bar can only be expanded from 1 row to 2 rows. It used to grow to 4 rows, which was handy for loooooong formulas. Two rows in't enough.

64 bit Office 365, Insider Builds
Surface Pro 4, i7, 16GB Ram

Hi Ed,

That's not good on the disconnected frown face. Right now most everyone is out of the office for the holidays, so most of my mails to anyone gets an out of office reply. Tough to get answers.

Try it again in a day or two and see if it is still broken.

If it's still down after the holidays, we'll rattle some cages.

Thanks.

--Jay M
Insider forum moderator
Excel has many type of feature in nowadays there have many type of work to done in it. I use the Excel sheet for multiple purpose to store records and the outlook is also a great implement to send multiple email to the interpries and personal mails.

Having issues with my Excel program in that all of a sudden I can't even type in numbers.  Getting error message when I attempt to open my file  "We're sorry, but Excel has run into an error that is preventing it from working correctly.  Excel will need to be closed as a result.  Would you like us to repair now.  Boxes state :  Repair now   Help    Close.  The Help takes me to a webpage with multiple sites listed of like news releases.  What's with that?  Also, At the top of the page It states Excel (Unlicensed Product)  I just purchased this with my new computer last July.    At least give me a phone number for tech support.

Thanks,

Harriet Way