UPDATED - Known Issue: Error booting Office apps for Insiders (Fast/Slow) running 1806, 1805 and 1804 builds

UPDATE: This issue has been resolved. Please see below for steps that will allow you to get back up and running if you are still experiencing problems.

Known Issue: Error booting Office apps for Insiders (Fast/Slow) running 1806, 1805 and 1804 Builds

·        Impacted applications: Microsoft Office 365 Desktop Clients (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.)

·        Impacted Versions: 1806 (builds 10205.xxxxx, 9327.xxxx),1805 (builds 9330.xxxx) and 1804(builds 9266.xxxx)

·        Impacted Audience/Channel: Monthly Targeted (formally known as ‘Insider Slow’) and Insiders (formally known as Insider Fast)- Note this does NOT affect Production

Some users may get an error on booting Office apps. You might get a message when trying to launch Office applications indicating that you should launch in Safe mode and then the application fails to launch properly.

We have enabled a server side setting that will fix this issue. However, some users may still experience the problem if the client hasn’t picked up the new setting.  We have released updated versions of the clients that address this problem.

Fixed Versions: 1806 (build 10211.20004), 1805 (build 9330.2053) and 1804(builds 9266.2156)

Clients will automatically download updates over time, however, if you want to update immediately you can trigger an update:

Office Click to Run:

1. Open any Office 2016 app, such as Word, and create a new document.

2. Go to File > Account (or Office Account if you opened Outlook 2016).

3. Under Product Information, choose Update Options > Update Now

Note: if you can't launch any applications, you can do an online repair of Office - see instructions here

Or a user can run this from a command prompt to force an update:  
"c:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun\OfficeC2RClient.exe" /update user

Office in the Microsoft Store:

1. Shut down all Office Applications

2. Go to Microsoft Store and check for updates

In the event that you are unable to update at this time, there is an immediate workaround by deleting some registry keys. The easiest thing to do is:

·        Open notepad, and paste the following text into the blank notepad

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\Licensing\CurrentSkuIdForApp]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\Licensing\CurrentSkuIdForApp]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\Experiment]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\Experiment]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\ExperimentEcs]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\ExperimentEcs]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\ExperimentTas]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\ExperimentTas]

·        Save it as LicenseMitigation.reg somewhere easy to find (e.g. on your desktop)

·        Double click LicenseMitigation.reg  and say yes to the prompts asking if it is allowed to execute.

Forum Article Info

Last updated November 16, 2019 Views 38,693 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

FYI this is also in 1806, however it only affected Outlook and OneNote. The others (PowerPoint, Excel, Word) were all fine.

Deleting the registry keys fixed it.

This is affecting 1806 Excel too. Seems to be a per user thing. My outlook and OneNote are fine, but not excel.
Ed Hansberry
Microsoft MVP Oct 2000 - Sep 2011

Note - the builds should read:  

Impacted Versions: 1806 (builds 10205.xxxxx, 9327.xxxx),1805 (builds 9330.xxxx) and 1804 (builds 9266.xxxx).

Working on updating OP

The regedit deletions fixed it. Hoping for an easier client side fix. We have one remote user that cannot get Outlook to launch. He is using the Office portal and his phone for now. Not really wanting to walk him through registry edits.
64 bit Office 365, Insider Builds
Surface Pro 4, i7, 16GB Ram
Thanks for the clarification, Andy! I've made the edits above to the build numbers. And, thanks, @Loryan and @Ed, for pointing it out and making sure we're on top of it! 
We are actively working on the fix and I'll let you know as soon as I know it's in. So sorry for the inconvenience and we very much appreciate your patience and feedback! 

Interestingly, I haven't seen this with 1806 (Outlook, OneNote, any of them), even though I was running it from pretty early on Friday. I do have all those Registry keys, too. So, I guess the server-side setting magically exempted me from this.

That's great to hear, @rseiler! And thank you for this feedback, as it helps us understand how it's impacting our customers. :)

I'm seeing the same issue with the 1709 build with my Outlook and Word.
1711 running here