Office 365 and Express VPN

I use Office 365 on my home PC and I also use Express VPN. Until recently I had no problems with either, but now when I open any Office product I cannot access OneDrive: there's a message saying I have no internet connectivity. If I disconnect Express VPN the problem goes away. I have tried setting up the Office apps as exceptions in the Express VPN settings but this did not work. Does anyone have experience of this and know a way round it? Many thanks
|

It must be a general issue with Office 365. I've had similar spotty connection issues with OneDrive when ProtonVPN is on. Super frustrating. I use a VPN to protect all of my connections in public places (Starbucks, airports, etc) and to have Office documents fail to open is irritating.

I've reported the issue with a frown face in Excel which is where I see it most often, as that is what I use most often, but no response yet.

Ed Hansberry
Microsoft MVP - Data Platform/Power BI
Office Insider
MCSA: BI Reporting

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your reply Ed. The problem has now resolved itself: I didn't do anything at all, just tried again, and everything is working fine now! 'Til the next time anyway....

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've had this as an intermittent problem, and haven't been able to find a solution. The files will open, but they won't save changes when this problem happens. Turning off the VPN, and restarting Office seems to fix it for a few weeks, but then it'll happen again.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem here.  With no VPN, all my programs work fine.  However, if I connect through ExpressVPN and then open Outlook there is no connection.  Also happens with some MS apps, e.g. MSN Money.

Have tried using a different protocol and adding Outlook to the "Do not use VPN connection" but nothing seems to work - except disconnecting ExpressVPN and then all is fine again!

Looks like ExpressVPN are unable to resolve at the moment too.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I use Office 365 on my home PC and I also use Express VPN. Until recently I had no problems with either, but now when I open any Office product I cannot access OneDrive: there's a message saying I have no internet connectivity. If I disconnect Express VPN the problem goes away. I have tried setting up the Office apps as exceptions in the Express VPN settings but this did not work. Does anyone have experience of this and know a way round it? Many thanks

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for your reply SwissDoc, it seems to be quite a common issue. Perhaps they'll sort it out one day....

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem with VyprVPN. When the VPN is active I have no internet connection to OneDrive or the ability to retrieve from or save files to it. This has been an ongoing problem with Office 365 and is getting worse. The fault does not lie with the VPNs, but rather with the way MS Office and OnDrive determine an active internet connection. MS disavows any responsibility for the problem and offers no direct support which adds to the frustrations in solving it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same issue here,

no connection with internet in any MS Office programs, when ExpressVPN is active.

Interesting is, that a few month back, I always had a message that my office365 was unregistered, when VPN was active. I couldn't even save a file.

Everything was back to normal, when I deactivated VPN.

At least this issue is resolved.

So does this mean, that there is someone there who works on the connection problems as well?

Bye Sonja

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 14, 2021 Views 1,229 Applies to: