Insiders: Researcher for Word for Mac is here!

Hi Office for Mac Insiders,

Updated: 8/9/2017

Great news! This feature is now available for the Insiders Slow audience in Version 15.37 (Build 17080500).  Thanks so much for your invaluable feedback. We've made several quality and stability improvements.  Please try out the latest version and let us know what you think.  We're continuing to make improvements to this feature and we'll be watching for additional feedback as we do! :D

-Douglas

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I’m Douglas, and I’m a program manager in Office. Last year, we announced the availability of Office Researcher feature for Word for Windows Desktop. Today, we’re excited to bring Researcher to our Mac users, currently available to Insiders FAST users.

Researcher can help you write well-researched papers quickly by helping you find reliable sources, insert high-quality images, cite and create bibliography without leaving Word. We built this feature through a close relationship with the Bing team and are excited to hear what you think about it!

Get a quick overview by watching this video:

Availability

To see the Researcher pane, you must:

1. Be an Office 365 subscriber on the Insider Fast or Slow level.
  2. Have Version 15.37 (Build 17080500) or later installed.
  3. The Researcher feature supports these languages/markets:
        • English – US
        • English – GB
        • French – France
        • Italian - Italy
        • German – Germany
        • Spanish – Spain
        • Japanese – Japan

Getting started

You can access the Researcher pane by clicking the References tab and then click on Researcher.

Learn more about Researcher in our help article: Research for your paper easily within Word.

Try the following scenarios

Here are a few things we’d like for you to try:

1. Do a search for a topic you’re writing about and explore the results. Did you find what you’re looking for? 
  2. After you write from an article you found, click ‘Quote this' to add an inline citation for it.

3. Search for images and add them to document.

4. Insert a bibliography by going to References > Insert Bibliography.
  5. After inserting a bibliography, add more references to your document, then go to the Bibliography section, click on the bibliography tab down arrow, and Update Citations and Bibliography.

We’d love your feedback

Now is the perfect time to help us improve how Researcher works! If you hit any rough spots, or if you have suggestions for improvement, let us know. You can leave a comment on this post, or on Twitter via the @OfficeInsider handle. You can also submit feedback in Word by clicking the smile icon on the top right corner. We closely monitor each of these feedback channels, so please use whatever you prefer.

Thanks!

Doug & the Researcher team

Discussion Info

Last updated May 17, 2019 Views 1,683 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Sound great but this is what  I see on a later Fast track insider version:

Don't see it. Went to Word Preference  Ribbon and Menubar

If my reply has helped, mark accordingly - Helpful or Answer
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.

Thanks for checking this out right away Phillip. Can you tell us what build number you have? I have escalated this to our engineering team already.

Michelle V.

Office Team

I don't see it either - version 170613

Okay

Mac OS.

I deliberately have hidden the Serial number of my machine for obvious reasons.

Here is screenshot Ribbon and Toolbar Preference. Does show sort of installed but the components in the folder, appear to grayed out. when a document is open.

_________

Disclaimer:

The questions, discussions, opinions, replies & answers I create, are solely mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon my position as a Community Moderator.

If my reply has helped, mark accordingly - Helpful or Answer
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.

Hey Everyone,

I'm the Program Manager in charge of Researcher - sorry you've run into some problems.

Thanks for your interest and for sharing some information about your current states/setups.  We're actively looking into why some subscribers on the Insiders FAST channels don't see Researcher.  We'll have more to update and fix this problem soon.  Please keep the feedback and information coming.  Both are very helpful!

Doug Taylor, PM Microsoft

Hi guys,

Douglas and I are working on this issue. Just wanted to keep you posted. We've identified the mystery of the missing Researcher feature on the ribbon. This feature is being rolled out once again and it should appear in the next few hours. You'll need to close and restart Word in order for the feature to appear.

Thanks again for reporting this. Try it out again and we'd love to get your feedback on this feature!

Michelle

Perfect.

It is working in Word Mac. I miss a keyboard shortcut for quoting. It seems to quote the highlight with Enter-key after I have clicked the plus-sign "Quote this". But in this it will copy double.

Hi!  I am an Office Insider Fast member, and the Researcher tab is greyed out.  What could be going on?

Hi Tony, thanks for reporting this. Can you tell me if you are logged in the product? Our engineering team has informed us that this will no longer be the case later when it becomes available to all subscribers. It should be enabled all the time regardless if you are signed in or not.

Please let us know if this is the case. Happy to help you more here.

Michelle V.

Office Team

Hi Suleman, sorry for the delayed response. Thanks for this feedback! We're looking into this and have reached out to the engineering team. We'll get back to you soon.

Michelle