Hi Insiders –
My name is Derek, and I work on feature development for Office 2016 for Mac. As promised, we have just released a significant update for Insider Fast participants. Build is 16.6 (171001) -- updates can sometimes take a day or so to reach everyone in the program.
In addition to some long-awaited improvements and features, we’ve updated the architecture of the product, so these early builds may be a little rough around the edges. We need your help putting them through their paces!
These features are available to those of you with an Office 365 subscription in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint:
- Real-time co-authoring and AutoSave for OneDrive and SharePoint files. Changes are automatically saved as you work, and when you co-author with others, you can see their changes as they work.
- A new Share menu makes it easier to share files that are stored on OneDrive for Business or SharePoint.
- PowerPoint QuickStarter is now on Mac! Powered by the Bing Knowledge graph, QuickStarter reinvents the deck creation process by building a presentation outline to help you get started researching a topic of your choosing.
- New and modern chart types: Say hello to Waterfall, Funnel, Histogram, Pareto, Box & Whisker, Treemap and Sunburst-six powerful charts that help you quickly visualize common financial, statistical and hierarchical data.
The following feature is available to everyone:
- We’ve updated Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Some additional methods, properties, objects, and enums available to Windows Office users will now work on Mac as well. There are still differences between the Mac and Windows Object Model, so you will still see “not supported on this platform” for some elements. More details on the Object Model changes will be available soon.
With a big update comes a new version numbering scheme. Starting with today’s build, you’ll see Version 16.xx instead of Version 15.xx whenever we release a new Fast build.
You can find more information about the new features (and known issues, if any) in the Office 2016 for Mac Insider Fast release notes. More news is coming in an update to the Insider Fast channel, we’ll share details soon.
- Outlook for Mac Insider Fast builds
- Excel for Mac Insider Fast builds
- PowerPoint for Mac Insider Fast builds
- OneNote for Mac Insider Fast builds
- Word for Mac Insider Fast builds
To send feedback or report issues:
- In Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote, click the :) Smile button in the top corner of the app.
- In Outlook, to leave feedback or report issues, click Help > Contact Support.
Thanks to all of you using Insider builds of Office for Mac!
- Derek, on behalf of the Microsoft Office for Mac team