Workflows showing up in Designer but stages are missing

our organization is using sharepoint online as part of our office 365 subscription. we hired a sharepoint consultant to create workflows for a few of our lists, which our organization would now like to be able to maintain internally. as our organization's designated sharepoint person, as per our consultant's instructions i downloaded sharepoint designer 2013. 

when i open sharepoint designer and go to the workflows section, i can see four workflows listed (screenshot 1).

i can click to open the workflow and get the screen shown in screenshot 2 (i.e. it appears to give me access, although the lack of any content in this view suggests to me that it's not showing me the right information).

but if i click "edit workflow", none of the workflow steps show up - instead i see a blank page with "insert a stage by using the stage button on the ribbon" (screenshot 3). however, i know that these workflows exist and have stages (because they are active on our site at present - emails go out if someone adds an entry to the list). 

any troubleshooting help you can offer to help me be able to access and edit the existing workflow content would be much appreciated.

for reference, i am an owner of the site collection in question, but am not a site collection admin. 

thanks,

sarah

Answer
Answer

Hi Sarah,

Based on the description, since the workflow is functioning, the problem seems to be related to the SharePoint Designer client.

Can you try the update on the computer mentioned in the link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2837633

Also, please refer to the steps mentioned in the following post to clear the SharePoint Designer cache and see the outcome:

https://community.office365.com/en-us/f/154/t/272973  

Regards,
Jerry

20 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 11, 2024 Views 7,962 Applies to: