Files not showing up in Shared with Me on OneDrive for Business

Hello,

I have searched through the forum archive and have read posts where people were having similar issues to this one, but I have seen nothing about a resolution or solution.

I have two related issues regarding sharing files using OneDrive for Business that do not display on someone's Shared with Me folder.  We are using Office 365 E3.

Issue One:

Someone from outside of our O365 subscription has shared a file with one of my users within our O365 subscription. The external user has shared it via the share feature on her OneDrive for Business subscription (clicking the ... next to the file, clicking the Share link, typing in the person's email address, selecting Can Edit, then sharing).  My internal user received the email with the link for the document.  She can access the document by clicking the link.  The document, however, does not display in her Shared with Me folder on her OneDrive for Business.  Is this because it is being shared with her from an external user?  Additionally, the Follow link in the email does not work - the internal user receives an error message when clicking on the Follow link to follow the document.  Is this also because the file has been shared from an external user?

Issue Two:

An internal user (Internal User A) has shared an Excel file with another of my internal users (Internal User B) using his OneDrive for Business.  The file is a read-only file.  Internal User B shared the file with Internal User B by selecting the ... next to the file, clicking the Share link, entering the person's email address, and clicking Share (he did select Can View, not Can Edit).  Internal User B received the email on Monday, over 24-hours ago, and can access the view-only copy of the file using the link in the email. However, the file does not display in Internal User B's Shared with Me folder on her OneDrive for Business.  Is this because the file is view-only? I would not think this is an issue with the file not being crawled, because the file was shared over 24-hours ago.

Any help you can provide on both of these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Answer
Answer

Hi Roseann,

Thanks for getting back to me.

It’s glad that the files now show up on the section. It can be related to the crawler lagging behind. Please    see the detailed explanation from Lawliet community.office365.com/.../270859.  

I have tested on what you asked, and Yes, the files shared with view-only permission will display under someone’s Shared With Me section.

Best regards,

April

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Thanks for confirming that an internally-shared document should display in someone's Shared with Me area if its shared as view only or edit. Also, it's good to know that the crawl should happen w/in six hours, usually w/in 24-hours, but the actual timing of the crawl cannot be determined. It's not good news, but it's good to know. This just makes it difficult to know if the item is actually going to show up and it just hasn't been crawled yet, or if there is some other issue going on.  

Thank you for your help!  

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 1, 2020 Views 17,348 Applies to: