Is POP3 / IMAP Being Disabled on Shared Mailbox's Accounts

I would like to know if Microsoft is disabling pop3 / imap access to shared-mailbox. I currently use a ticket management system from Dell call KACE

http://software.dell.com/kace

I noticed today it started to stop processing emails from all 5 of my shared-mailbox (one of each department). After spending several hours wasting my time, Dell's Time, and my tier 2 & tier 3 support Engineers time. We found the issue to be that POP / IMAP access no works when connecting to a shared-mailbox. After an exhausting troubleshooting I had my teir 3 support convert my shared-mailbox to a regular user an consume one of our e3 licenses and dam the server connected to pop with out issues and started to process emails again. 1 of 5 done.

Is this a bug / issue or is this how its going to be from now on? me consuming a license to connect my ticket management system. At one point I though we can use a user account if we need to for a service and not pay for it, but I can be wrong.

If any one has any Idea what happened to pop3 / imap access that would be great

Jonathan LaPlaca
Desktop Administrator

Question Info

Last updated September 6, 2019 Views 1,505 Applies to:

Hi Jonathan,

It is not supported to configure the Shared Mailbox via POP3/IMAP in Office 365. We recommend you add the Shared Mailbox via Auto-Mapping.

If you need any further help, please feel free to contact me.

Thanks,
Gary

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Jonathan

Yes this is the way it's going to be from now on. I had someone from support tell me it's basically because companies abused the shared mailboxes not using a license instead of buying a license for each person.

here is what was sent to me by the support team.

A) Informed that this is not support and recommended at Microsoft. This is because shared mailbox is not an active mailbox and also it does not need any license. if this is allowed by Microsoft

then it is a loss of business and revenue becuse no one would buy additional licenses then for their domain users

+ Tweaks are available on internet which if configured would work but if any issue then Microsoft would offer any assistance to fix it

So the short answer is if you need access to the mailbox via imap/pop then you will need a license. On another note the auto mapping which they say to use, I have only been able to get working with outlook with apple mail it will bring back the persons message rather than the shared mailboxes messages and on outlook 2016 for mac then I have to keep pressing send and receive to see new messages that come in.

If anyone has been able to get apple mail to work with the shared mailbox auto mapping could you let me know how you managed it.

Many thanks

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.