Microsoft Teams—the chat-based workspace in Office 365: Introduction & Frequently Asked Questions

Technical Level : Basic

Summary

At Microsoft, we are deeply committed to the mission of helping people and organizations achieve more—and reinventing productivity for the cloud and mobile world is core to our ambition. We built Microsoft Teams because we see both tremendous opportunity and tremendous change in how people and teams get work done. Teams are now more agile and organizational structures more flat to keep communications and information flowing. With Microsoft Teams, we aspire to create a more open, digital environment that makes work visible, integrated and accessible—across the team—so everyone can stay in the know.

With more than 85 million active users, Office 365 empowers individuals, teams and entire organizations with the broadest and deepest toolkit for collaboration. Office 365 is designed to meet the unique workstyle of every group with purpose-built, integrated applications: Outlook for enterprise-grade email; SharePoint for intelligent content management; Yammer for networking across the organization; Skype for Business as the backbone for enterprise voice and video; and now, Microsoft Teams, the new chat-based workspace in Office 365.

Details

Please check https://blogs.office.com/2017/03/14/microsoft-teams-rolls-out-to-office-365-customers-worldwide/for the latest official messaging and roadmap.

https://youtu.be/nKU-FMzZFF0

New features released at General Availability

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ShVRI5bqVs

Frequently asked questions

Q. Which Office 365 plans includes Microsoft Teams?

A. Microsoft Teams is available in the following Office O365 commercial suites: Business Essentials, Business Premium, Enterprise E1, E3, E5 plans and Education. Microsoft Teams will also be available to existing E4 customers who purchased E4 before its retirement.

Q. What platforms does Microsoft Teams support?
A. Microsoft Teams runs on Windows, Mac, Android, iOS and web platforms.

Q. In which markets and languages is Microsoft Teams available?
A. Microsoft Teams is available in 181 Office 365 markets and 19 languages: English (US), Chinese (Simple & Traditional), Spanish, French, German, Italian, Russian, Portuguese (BR), Japanese, Korean, Dutch, Danish, Swedish, Finnish, Norwegian, Turkish, Czech, Polish.

Q. Which Office 365 education plans include Microsoft Teams?
A. Microsoft Teams is available in all Office 365 for Education suite licensing: Education, Education Plus and Education E5, as well as existing Education E3 customers who purchased E3 prior to its retirement.

Q. Is Microsoft Teams available to purchase as a standalone service in education?
A. No, Microsoft Teams is available only as part of Office 365 Education suites, as listed above.

Q. What level of security and compliance does Microsoft Teams support?

A. Microsoft Teams is expected to be Office 365 Tier C compliant at launch. This broad set of global compliance and data protection requirements includes ISO 27001, ISO 27018, EUMC, SOC 1 Type I & II, SOC 2 Type I and II, HIPAA and FERPA. Microsoft Teams also enforces two-factor authentication, single sign on through Active Directory and encryption of data in transit and at rest.

Q: What admin controls are there for Microsoft teams?
A. By default, Microsoft Teams is enabled for all eligible Office 365 users with the appropriate license assignment.
All settings are tenant-wide and affect everyone in the organization who has an active license for Microsoft Teams.

As an administrator for your organization, you can turn on or turn off Microsoft Teams for your organization and you can allow or block what content sources can be used in Microsoft Teams.
See Administrator settings for Microsoft Teams for more details.
You can turn on or turn off Microsoft Teams for individual users. 

Q. Can an administrator globally disable Microsoft Teams after it is turned on?
A. Yes, an administrator can turn off Microsoft Teams at any time, from the Office 365 admin center.

Q. After Microsoft Teams is turned off, what happens to existing content in teams that were created?
A. Access is blocked. All data remains in place unless the teams are explicitly deleted.

Q. Can an administrator control if the banner notification to install the Microsoft Teams client is shown to users?
A. No, the banner notification is always shown to users.

Q. How can the Microsoft Teams application be installed by centralized IT?
A. The Microsoft Teams installation provides an .exe file in 32-bit for Windows and 64-bit for Windows. We also provide a .dmg installation file for Mac computers. IT admins can choose their preferred method to distribute the installation files to machines in their organization.

Refer to  Administrator settings  for more details

Q. What trainings are available to help Office 365 admins learn about Microsoft Teams?

A. We have two different trainings currently available for our IT admins. To view the trainings, click here.
We also have a video on Microsoft Mechanics and more information on the Microsoft Teams Tech Community.

Q: Is there any guidance for a Successful Microsoft Teams Deployment?

A. Driving collaboration is a journey and requires more than just technical knowledge. To aid you in getting the most from Microsoft Teams, we have created a new site to provide you with guidance on how to Plan, Deliver & Operate Microsoft Teams within your organization:  www.SuccessWithTeams.com. 

More information on: 
Microsoft Teams Help
Frequently asked questions about Microsoft Teams - Admin Help
Microsoft Teams for O365 Education

Forum Article Info

Last updated December 1, 2019 Views 2,765 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

After enabling Teams, how do you actually get to the app? It's not available from my "View All Apps" screen, so how do I get to it?
How long is chat history stored for? 
Same issue here. What am I missing?

Hi Matthew,

To get the most recent desktop versions of Microsoft Teams, administrators and users should download from https://teams.microsoft.com/downloads.

For mobile apps, you should go to the relevant mobile store for Google Play, Apple App Store, and Microsoft Store.

Your desktop app will automatically update (so you don’t have to). If you want, you can still check for available updates by clicking Settings and then Check for updates.

Your web app will always be up-to-date.

More info:

Microsoft teams FAQ

Best Regards,

Mário

I have enabled the service and downloaded the app, but how come I don't see a tile for it in my online portal screen?

Hi Robert,

Microsoft Teams retains all messages.

It retains deleted messages for at least 7 days and at most 30 days before messages are permanently deleted.

However, there is no support yet for retaining edit and deletion logs for messages.

More info:

Microsoft teams FAQ

Best Regards,

Mário

Thanks Mário, my issue was that there was no link to https://teams.microsoft.com anywhere that I could find, so I didn't even know how to get to the web app. The web app is all that I needed. Thanks.
Will Microsoft Teams be available for education licenses anytime soon?
Can I import Slack JSON files into Teams to retain chat history? If so, what are the steps?

The desktop app does not work for my version of OSX (10.9.5). The online page does not load in Chrome on OSX. It simply refreshes until the browser crashes.

I'm attempting to use the web version here

https://teams.microsoft.com

Thoughts?