How to call a PSTN number of a user that does not have a dialing plan

Hello. I have a scenario where several M365 F1 subscriptions cannot receive calls to their mobile device when the call is initiated from a licensed (E5 + domestic dialing plan) Teams user. In this scenario, the call fails. I understand why the call fails, it is a Teams call and the F1 user isn't licensed for phone service. The issue I'm raising is why can't Teams users access the additional phone numbers associated to AAD user accounts, when the recipient user is not a fully licensed Teams user?

The user with the F1 subscription has their mobile number listed in the Mobile Phone field of their AAD account, however this phone number is not available to Teams users.

This feature does work in Skype, the other numbers listed to the account could be dialed regardless if the recipient has a dialing plan associated to their account.

Hi J0hnny,

From my understanding, it's possible to call even unlicensed users on external phone number using contacts. In order to achieve this, please open your Teams client> Calls> Contacts, find the user in question and click on his phone number:

If the suggestion doesn't suites your needs or doesn't work, please let me know.

Best regards,

Nemanja

-------------------------------------------------
If you feel a reply works for you, please kindly vote or mark it as it will be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Nemanja. Your method works for contacts I create, but it does not work for directory lookup. For example, if I type someone's name in the command bar (say I'm looking to reach another employee I have never called before). The only option available is a Teams call. However, this individual does have a mobile number in the associated field within their AAD account but it is not listed in Teams. In Skype, their mobile number is available to call but from Teams it is not nor is it listed.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi J0hnny,

I'll need a bit more time to create an environment and run some additional tests. I'll update you during the next week.

Best regards,

Nemanja

If you feel a reply works for you, please kindly vote or mark it as it will be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi J0hnny, 

After the consutation, looks like that the feature's behavior you have described is "by design" for Microsoft Teams.

Please take a few minutes to share your suggestion with our Product group engineering team via Microsoft UserVoice service - 

https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/. Your feedback will be highly apreciated.

Thanks for your understanding,

Nemanja

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 9, 2020 Views 65 Applies to: