mail.protection.outlook.com. is rejecting my mails

Split from this thread.

Well this is a mess.

All emails via *prod.protection.outlook.com  have been failing for weeks. When will Microsoft actuall y address this?  

Users are complaining bitterly, and companies using your service will leave when they realise you are blocking their business.

Escalate this and fix. Please. 

Regards, S.

This is a delivery failure notification message indicating that
an email you addressed to email address :
-- *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

could not be delivered. The problem appears to be :
-- Recipient email address is possibly incorrect

Additional information follows :
-- 5.4.1 [xxxxx@domain.com]: Recipient address rejected: Access denied [CWLGBR01FT011.eop-gbr01.prod.protection.outlook.com]

This condition occurred after 1 attempt(s) to deliver over
a period of 0 hour(s).

If you sent the email to multiple recipients, you will receive one
of these messages for each one which failed delivery,  otherwise
they have been sent.

<PII is removed to protect your privacy>

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi S,

If you are sure about that some emails can be sent out, the MX record should be correct. However, you can also test it and your ability to send emails from your Exchange Online organization by using the Verify MX Record and Outbound Connector Test at Office 365 > Mail Flow Configuration in the Microsoft Remote Connectivity Analyzer.

If external senders receive NDR 5.4.1 when they send mail to recipients in your domain, please try the steps below: 

1. Open the Office 365 portal at https://portal.office.com.
  2. Click Domains and verify your domain appears in the list as Active.
  3. Select the domain and click Troubleshoot. Follow the troubleshooting wizard steps.

If you maintain control of the DNS records for your Office 365 domain, you can also check the status of the domain in the Exchange admin center by performing these steps:

1. Open the Office 365 portal, click Admin, and select Exchange.
  2. Click Mail flow > Accepted domains.
  3. Verify that your domain is listed, and verify the Domain Type value for the domain. Typically, the Domain Type value should be Authoritative. However, if you have properly configured a shared domain, the value may be Internal Relay.

If the issue persists, please provide the following for troubleshooting:

1. Do you have an on-premises Exchange server or hybrid deployment?

2. Confirm if all the DNS records are correct in Office 365. 

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/dns-basics-854b6b2b-0255-4089-8019-b765cff70377#__toc386183977
3. Details about the NDR. I've sent you a private message to collect the error meesage (Non-delivery report). You can click the link below to access the pm and provide the NDR for us.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/privatemessage/inbox

Thanks,

Lance

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Lance, 

I sent you a PM. Thanks.

1. We don't have a microsoft 365 account, so this won't work. The problem we have is with external email sent to Microsoft clients using prod.protection.outlook.com services.

2. I cannot find the part you referred to on the :

"

1. Open the Office 365 portal, click Admin, and select Exchange.
  2. Click Mail flow > Accepted domains.
  3. Verify that your domain is listed, and verify the Domain Type value for the domain. Typically, the Domain Type value should be Authoritative. However, if you have properly configured a shared domain, the value may be Internal Relay."

Best, Sophie

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Sophie,

Now I understand that you are not an Office 365 user. You may contact the recipient to add the domain of your organization to the safe sender list and verify the result.

Then we should focus on the second situation. Since you are an external user and receive this error, I'd like to confirm the following:

1. Are the senders Office 365 users? If so, please contact them to troubleshoot their domain via the steps above. (in the second paragraph)

2. Does the issue only happen to this specific domain?

3. Can you help us confirm if you can receive emails from other external domain with no issue?

Thanks,

Lance

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Lance,

1. No idea but they use your prod.protection.outlook.com services to receive their email. They are your customers so you should know, shouldn't you?  This is why I am contacting Microsoft.

Since we cannot contact them by email we cannot communicate the issue. Except for one company who outsoured their email (to you ) and they are not technically inclined.

2. Does the issue only happen to this specific domain?

No, to lots.  Any email domain receiving email via: prod.protection.outlook.com

3. Can you help us confirm if you can receive emails from other external domain with no issue?

We can receive emails from the problematic domains.

some domains with the same error

<PII is removed to protect your privacy>

Best wishes, Sophie

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Sophie,

Yes, I understand they use our services. However, for this issue, I think there is less you can do on your side.

As this forum mainly focuses on Office 365 Business services, we suggest you get the Office 365 admin invloved in this thread for further troubleshooting. We need them to do all the things I listed above and the complete NDR for analysis.

As a workaround, you can let those recipients who are using problematic domains add your company domain to their safe sender list and verify the result. The admin of Office 365 should know it.

Thanks,

Lance

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Lance,

Thanks for getting back to me.

>  you can let those recipients who are using problematic domains add your company domain to their safe sender list

These are large opaque Belgian government entities with no contact methods except by email, and then only to non-IT staff.  Their internal staff have no contact method to their IT department, because I phoned and asked.

If you send me their Office 365 contact details then I can contact them, because Microsoft have their details, not us.

This is a problem with Office 365 globally and not of companies using your service. ** Only micorsoft Office365 can solve this **.  If you take responsibility for this problem you can assign to the correct team in Microsoft, can't you? What do you think?

Best, Sophie

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Sophie,

Because I take responsibility for this issue, so I need to collect more detailed information from Office 365, and let them take some actions to troubleshoot this issue. 

I totally understand your feeling and I also want to fix the issue ASAP for you and those problematic Office 365 users. But as I mentioned above, there is less you can do here. All my suggestions are for Office administrators/users only. Even I contact the related team, they also need to reach Office 365 customers to handle this issue, not you. Unless the root cause is addressed on sender's side, not Office 365's fault.

To narrow down this issue, you can also help me confirm the following:

1. Check if you can send emails to other Office 365 users with no issue.

2. Try delisting yourself via https://sender.office.com/

3. Check whether your server has open relay.

Thanks,

Lance

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi lance,

1. I don't know any other office 365 users that I can email to.  Because the problem only surfaces with 365 users we cannot email.

2. I tried to delist and our IP address is not blocked. 

3. No, we don't run an open relay.  This mail server has run since 2009, and has never been blacklisted by any RBL.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Sophie,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Now we can identify that your server is good and the issue should be addressed on Office 365 side. However, the following troubleshooting steps need to done from Office 365. So, it will be appreciated if you can reach any one of those Office 365 users, please get them or their admin involved in this thread so that we can move on. Like using another email account to send emails.

By the way, may I confirm are those Office 365 users aware of this issue? Because you can receive their emails, can you confirm if they have known this issue or already taken some actions as they haven't received your emails for a long time? Maybe your emails has delivered successfully and this is just a bounce message with no meaning? Lots of things need to confirm from Office 365 side...

Thanks for your cooperation.

Lance

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Lance,

I contacted end users and informed them of the problem. I asked them to contact their IT team. The government employees told me they had no way to contact their IT team, which did not surprise me.   Those in the private companies just ignored my email. I am afraid this is Belgium, and this costs too much of their time to try to find the correct person to forward my emails to.

I have emailed the technical contacts in the government whois entries for .gov.be. hoping they'll read and take action, and I shall try again. 

More info., later.

Best, Sophie

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 11, 2021 Views 57,425 Applies to: