in-line archiving

I have a couple of questions--

First-- I have a user who is unhappy with in-line archiving.  He wants me to change it back to the way it was.  The documents say you can disable the archive so long as you reattach the archive to the on-line account.  How do you do that?  When I do that, is the archived email restored to the active mailbox?

Second -- in trying to troubleshoot the first question, I set up an archive for one of my accounts, drug some messages into the archive folder, and tried to check the status of the archive.  I received a message stating that I had not yet logged into my mailbox.  What do I have to do to log into my mailbox?  I thought opening my email from the outlook icon when logged into Exchange on-line achieved that.

Any clarification would be appreciated.

Answer
Answer

Hi Mike Parsons,

For the in-line archiving you mentioned, if you mean in-place archive in Exchange? If yes, to disable it, you need to go to Exchange Admin center to disable. Please refer to following article:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj984357(v=exchg.150).aspx

If you disabled archiving for the mailbox, you will have 30 days to enable it again and retain the existing messages or content in the archived mailbox. After 30 days, all information in the archived mailbox will be permanently deleted. So, if the user doesn’t wants to enable it again in 30 days, please let him/her to back up those messages in in-place Archive.

For the second concern, if you mean when you click the In-Place Archive folder in your mailbox? Please try to sign in Outlook Web App (OWA) to check the outcome. If the issue persists in OWA, please provide us a screenshot about the message.

Thanks,

Iry

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 1, 2021 Views 100 Applies to: