How to add an email alias to an O365 group?

I need to add alias email addresses to some O365 Groups. This issue has already been suggested to the O365 development team as a new feature. Reportedly it is already possible to add alias email addresses to an O365 Group using Exchange Online PowerShell.

The directions are suppose to be located in this MS technet link:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt238274(v=exchg.160).aspx

(1) You can see where "alias" is mentioned in the parameters.

As it states, the Alias parameter specifies the Exchange alias (also known as the mail nickname) for the Office 365 Group. This value identifies the recipient as a mail-enabled object, and shouldn't be confused with multiple email addresses for the same recipient (also known as proxy addresses). A recipient can have only one Alias value.

Based on that last statement, I believe the O365 group must use some internal standard to create such an ID. An inspection of a test O365 group looks something like "*** Email address is removed for privacy ***".

Obviously with only one alias value allowed, and already set automatically during Group creation, that doesn't help.

(2) Later the "EmailAddresses" parameter is mentioned. The plural use of the word gave me some hope.

As stated via the link, the EmailAddresses parameter specifies ALL the email addresses (proxy addresses) for the recipient, including the primary SMTP address. However, you can use this parameter to configure other proxy addresses for the recipient. The syntax includes the ability to add multiple smtp email addresses.

Based on those details it looks like I could add alias email addresses to an O365 Group using Exchange Online PowerShell!

So (finally), my question is how do you use Exchange Online PowerShell to give such commands to an O365 Group? The link obviously states a command, but the examples don't really give all the details... the recipe... or instructions.

I have googled, and search, and read, but using PowerShell in such a way is totally foreign to me. For myself, and others who need to complete this very common task, would someone please explain in detail how to execute this command?

Thanks ahead of time for your time and assistance!

Question Info

Last updated November 1, 2019 Views 10,190 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi William,

Please follow the instructions to achieve your requirements:

1 . Connect to Exchange Online PowerShell. Please refer to this link: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj984289(v=exchg.160).aspx

2 . Use this cmdlet to add alias for groups: Set-UnifiedGroup –IdentityGroup *** Email address is removed for privacy *** –EmailAddresses @{Add="*** Email address is removed for privacy ***"}

Then you can use this cmdlet to check whether you have add it successfully: Get-UnifiedGroup –Identity *** Email address is removed for privacy *** | FL EmailAddresses

If you have any questions while using powershell, please feel free to contact us.

Best regards,

Rick

-------------------------------------------------
If you feel a reply works for you, please kindly vote or mark it as it will be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

11 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.