email aliases disappeared

Our business had several aliases configured, today I tried to add a new alias but the option doesn´t show anymore https://support.office.com/en-us/article/add-another-email-alias-for-a-user-0b0bd900-68b1-4bf5-808b-5d240a7739f4

This is what I see now:

This is what it looked before:

Now I can only change the user name but cannot add an alias, then I tried to use one of the alias I had set up and is not working anymore. I ran the administrator audit log and the last change showed there is an alias I set on January 24. 

I don´t know when they were deleted or why and why I cannot add any alias now. We are losing business as the aliases are sales and service info related.

Answer
Answer

Hi Francisco Gochez,

Thanks for your detailed description about this issue. As I understand based on your description, you’re unable to add an alias for a user in Office 365 portal. Given this situation, I first would like to confirm whether you’re the Global admin of this tenant. If so, I suggest you try to clear the cache of your browser or switch to another browser and try again.

If the issue persists, I suggest you try to add the alias in the Exchange Admin center by following the steps below:

In Exchange Admin Center > recipients > under mailboxes tab double click the mailbox you want to add an alias > email address > click Add button > choose SMTP email address type > and type the alias@verifieddomain in the Email address filed

Note: Don’t check the Make this the reply address option. If you check this option, the new email address will be your primary email address.

In addition, you can also try to add the alias using PowerShell command:

1. Connect to Exchange Online PowerShell first.
  2. To check current exchange mailbox aliases: Get-Mailbox mailboxname | select -expand emailaddresses alias
  3. To add an email alias to an exchange mailbox: Set-Mailbox mailboxname -EmailAddresses @{Add='alias@ verifieddomain'}

Thanks,

Huni

-------------------------------------------------
If you feel a reply works for you, please kindly vote or mark it as it will be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 5, 2023 Views 5,111 Applies to: