Removing “.onmicrosoft” extension

Good day team!

my office 360 account is greg.shen@<domain>.com. However, my email address is greg.shen@<domain>.onmicrosoft.com. My question is how to remove “.onmicrosoft” extension on my mailbox.

Additional information, this happened only for new-hired employees  and our mail system changed to Office 360 recently. 

please kindly advise.

Greg

assuming you are referring to Office 365 , you should check the configuration of your tenant , unless you manage your end-user configuration on-premise , than that will be your place to go !

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Greg,

I would recommend removing the .onmicrosoft.com alias from mailboxes only if there is a good reason to do so. That is, because the domain is used behind the scenes by the service, removing it may led to unexpected behavior. There is a good article below, giving more info about the .onmicrosoft.com domain.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/domains-faq-1272bad0-4bd4-4796-8005-67d6fb3afc5a#bkmk_whydoihaveanonmicrosoft.comdomain

If you still want to remove the .onmicrosoft.com alias (or any other alias) from a mailbox you will need to login as a tenant admin to portal.office.com, go to Admin center ->Users->Active users. Choose the user you want to edit, then click the edit button next to the Email address section. On the next screen, make sure the .onmicrosoft.com alias is not the primary alias, then click on the recycle bin icon next to it, to remove the address, click Save.

-Andrei

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Greg,

We haven't heard back from you. Pleas let us know how it goes now.

Best regards,

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 19, 2024 Views 10,526 Applies to: