My onmicrosoft.com domain shows in outlook

Split from this thread.

Hi Erick,

I do have the similar problems that some of my user mail address shown as "someone@<customdomain>.onmicrosoft.com".

Here is my journey:

1. Registered an O365 Tenant
  2. Registered a Custom Domain Name
  3. Sync AD (AD Connect) from On Premises
  4. Applied 100 O365 E3 License
  5. Granting Licenses to respective users
  6. Most of my users email address able to shown correctly in Outlook (Web Mail) as "*** Email address is removed for privacy ***"
  7. But some of my users they don't, I checked with those difference from AD and found something.

About those users keep showing "someone@<customdomain>.onmicrosoft.com", their AD have following difference:

• They have an additional attribute "proxyAddress" with our expected email custom domain email address.
  • We removed those attributes from AD (On Premises), after next SYNC to O365 AD, it seems like works perfectly.
  • From O365 Admin point of view, their login name, domain and email address shown correctly with custom domain name
  • In Exchange Online (Admin), their mail box shown correctly with BOLD SMTP with custom domain name address.
    • while with NON-BOLD smtp with "someone@<customdomain>.onmicrosoft.com"
  • I think it means all works out fine from O365 Admin, and expecting it works in Outlook (Web Mail) too.

Here's what I found out they still not work as expected:

• When we creating a new email to user, we type their name and it will have some auto-complete shown the target user with their default email address, I expect it should shown "*** Email address is removed for privacy ***" for all of my users.
  • But those having "proxyAddress" situation user, they keep showing "someone@<customdomain>.onmicrosoft.com" for the first prompt out user email address, even we though we fixed them in Exchange Online correctly.

(removed by moderator to protect your privacy)

My Question is:

• How do we fix that situation? and let those user showing "*** Email address is removed for privacy ***" same as all others?

We do not have any hybrid setting / on premises exchange server, we purely brand new setup in O365 with on premises AD only.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Thank you.

Regards,

(removed by moderator to protect your privacy)

|

Here is what I did to fix this in the end.

Uninstall O365 then reinstall and login with your domain based email.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Paul,

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply.

But may I further clarify to what you means as follow:

• I am using Outlook (Web Mail) not client software, so do you mean re-install is about client software (Outlook Client)?
  • I tried different browser with in-private mode which I think there are no cache issue, and I refreshed few times for it.

Any more suggestion? I will have a try as well.

Thanks a lot.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Marco Leung,

Based on your description, it is a normal behavior. For my understanding, you sync users from AD to cloud at the first time and these users’ UPN and SMTP show usre@contoso.onmicrosoft.com. The autocomplete list will remember these users SMTP addresses for the first time. When you fix the issue and change the SMTP to the custom domain, the autocomplete list still remember the first SMTP address for related users. At that time, you need to choose the SMTP address in the autocomplete list and click the “Delete” button to clear them. Then you can type in the name and search it. You will find the user@contoso.com. When users create new emails next time, users will also find the correct SMTP address with the custom domain. Your understanding is highly appreciated.

Since you use Outlook Web App and Paul uses the Outlook clients, your scenarios are different. The re-install method should not work for you. Given the situation, you need to delete them manually.

Best Regards,

Erick

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Marco Leung,

Do you need any further assistance? 

Best Regards,
Erick

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Erick and Paul,

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply and information which clear my confusion.

I do contacted O365 support, and they contacted me to perform some testing.

My question / issue has been resolved.

No special findings / defeat found, the reason for showing "@onmicrosoft.com" is only the cache only.

User email address shown back to normal "@mydomain.com.hk" once I send out the first email to the user.

Even I try to send to their "@onmicrosoft.com" address, their profile and my contact will instantly update as "@mydomain.com.hk".

Thanks a lot for all of your helps.

Regards,

Marco Leung

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Marco Leung,

Thanks for your sharing.

If you have any other questions when using Office 365 in the future, please feel free to post a new thread in our forum. We are glad to help you here.

Best Regards,

Erick

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 16, 2021 Views 6,494 Applies to: