Change user name of users syned with Azure AD Connect

Hi,

we started a while ago to use Office 365 and sync our on premise users to Office 365. Internaly we use the domain mycompany.corp but our email domain is mycompany.com. So the login name on premise was always *** Email address is removed for privacy ***.

On Office 365 this was synced to the username *** Email address is removed for privacy ***. We were then able to change the user name to the user's primary email address *** Email address is removed for privacy *** in the Office 365 Admin Console. (Just had to change the domain in the user's settings.

However, now it seems that this does no longer work. Any newly created user must stick to the *** Email address is removed for privacy *** domain, as I'm no longer able to change the domain setting. Everything in the user's settings is grayed out or read only and nothing can be changed anymore. It is also no longer possible to add email aliases in the user's settings.

There is a warning that "This user is synchronized with your local Active Directory. Some details can be edited only through your local Active Directory.". That's clear as the user gets synced to Office 365.

The old ones all have the correct domain set. But there, too, I cannot change the setting anymore. Was there anything changed in the sync or on Office 365? And how can I fix this?

Thanks!

Answer
Answer
Hi StefKrau,

Based on my knowledge, admin need to manage synced users in AD and it is the recommend method. Based on your description, it is the expected behavior.

Given the situation, you can also use the PowerShell to change user name (login name). Here are the steps:

1.    Connect to Office 365 PowerShell
2.    Run the following PowerShell command:

set-msoluserprincipalname -newuserprincipalname name@contoso1.com -userprincipalname name@contoso.onmicrosoft.com

Best Regards,
Erick

17 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 21, 2023 Views 50,799 Applies to: