Save directly to an office 365 outlook group files lcoation

I can send files to an outlook group and see them in the files location. I can readily save attachments to the file location but if I just want to save directly from an office app like word or excel that seems harder.  (I can sync the group's site to my local disk and then it appears in that way).

Specifically, I note that the group sites are created in sites under my main SharePoint (in \sites\) location but when I choose the SharePoint site from Save as  these sites don't appear in the list (I have not manually added them to the main site's list myself).

If I try to add a place the office 365 SharePoint option asks for the e-mail address but only reads the top level site - there is no  option to choose a sub site (like the outlook groups).

I'd have hoped that these sites would other appear under the main site without any intervention or even better appear in some kind of groups folder. Ideally when I choose to add a place there'd be groups button and I could then add my groups as save locations.

perhaps there is a way to do this.

Expecting the average group user to know a URL doesn't work and I might not want to sync the files locally (which provides an easy solution).

Have I missed something?

Question Info

Last updated October 16, 2019 Views 952 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi LanCHC,

It’s not feasible to add an Office 365 Group Site in the Save As list. In this case, I’d like to invite you to vote this existing feedback provided by another customer: Offer Office 365 Groups as an option when saving a document.

As a workaround, we can input the URL of the document library in the Office 365 Group Site to save files to there from Office applications. To do so:
1.Login to the Office 365 Group Site and locate the document library you want to save files to.
2.Copy the URL of the library. It should similar as https://mod363236.sharepoint.com/sites/TestCalender/TestSaveAs/Forms/AllItems.aspx
3.Remove /Forms/AllItems.aspx from the URL. So, the final URL should similar as https://mod363236.sharepoint.com/sites/TestCalender/TestSaveAs
4.Go to File> Save as> Site- Contoso and then change the URL to the above one.

5.Next time you want to save something to the library, you can find it under File> Save as> Site- Contoso> Recent folder.

Regards
Fraser

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.