O365 Business Essentials on devices?

Hi,

I'm testing the 3 business forms of Office 365.

On the O365 Business comparison chart is says that 'Essentials' DOESN'T have: 

"Office on tablets and phones for the full, installed Office experience on up to 5 tablets and 5 phones per user".

How does this manifest itself (or not). I can sign into www.login.micrososftonline.com on my windows phone and access Outlook, Calendar, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneDrive, Delve, Sites, Sway etc and they all appear in their own little mobile format. So what is it that 'Essentials' ISN'T getting?

Thanks

Hi MaxDug,

Desktop Office applications and Office on tablets and phones are not included in the Business Essentials plan.

All Office mobile apps can be downloaded freely. While, without login, consumers will only be able view and print, not edit.

As a consumer, logging in with an MSA (Microsoft account such as Hotmail), gives you access to the ‘core experience’, which includes creating and light editing. If you try and use some of the premium features (see details below), you will be prompted to purchase an Office 365 subscription.

Regards,

Brook 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I already have an Office 365subscription, what I want to know is what do you NOT get with Essentials that you do get with Premium. As I said, I can login to the www.login.micrososftonline.com site on my mobile phone and access all of the Apps in a mobile friendly form, so what is it that I can't get with Essentials in terms of 'Office on Tablets and Phones'?

Sorry this didn't help.

hi maxdug,

in terms of “office on tablets and phones”, it means the office applications that can be installed on the tablets and phones. but, office 365 essentials plan doesn’t have this included.

when we sign in to www.login.micrososftonline.com with our essentials plan account, the office that are available are just office online versions.
for your reference:
compare-office-365-for-business-plans
please let us know if anything is unclear.

regards,
edward

Sorry this didn't help.

I have an Essentials account.

I created a document on my Essentials account on my pc and saved it. I then opened it on my windows mobile and, you're right, I could view it but not edit it. However I did the same with an Excel document and I COULD edit it on my mobile and save. I'm not going to try the other apps.

Sorry this didn't help.

Scratch that last comment.

I have an Essentials subscription, I also have a personal OneDrive subscription.

I created a document 'Test' on Office 365 Essentials via my PC and saved it.

in the OneDrive app on my phone I clicked the three lines top left (burger) and added my essentials account. Then I chose this account,  this took me to the documents where I opened 'Test', at the bottom of the screen (remember we're on my Windows mobile) there is a pen symbol that when clicked allows me to edit. When I'm done I click save, and it takes me to a window where I can choose to save it to my personal account or my Essentials account.

When opened in the Essentials account via my PC the changes can be seen.

You CAN edit documents stored in an Essentials subscription via a mobile phone.

Sorry this didn't help.

I suggest that you make sure your test result is correct. Business essential does not come with editing option on mobile devices. This information is officially published. Very clear understanding is that, this subscription does not come with Office.

Mixing with other plans in the test may have resulted in a different outcome.

Sorry this didn't help.

The 'Test' document is only located on the Essentials OneDrive account, and I definitely edited it on my Windows phone by adding the Essentials account to my personal OneDrive account. The edits were saved on the document and were evident on the Essentials subscription when opened on my PC.

I tried the same on my Android  tablet but it wouldn't let me edit the document with the Essentials login. I haven't tried it on an iPhone yet.

I suspect that it may be a Windows Phone phenomenon, but it's definitely not something I would sell as a benefit to potential customers - too much hassle

Sorry this didn't help.

Now it clarifies. Windows phone has a built in Office hub. No matter what subscription you have, even you are not a Office 365 subscriber, you can edit Office document. That's the benefit of owning a Windows Phone.

iOS and android needs eligible Office 365 licenses for editing. I suggest you get to know more on O365 offering before selling anything to your customers to avoid any after sales issues

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 19, 2020 Views 3,547 Applies to: