GoDaddy Domain Redirect

Hi,

I am going to be performing step 3 of the Domain setup process for Office 365 and want to confirm something. 

When looking at this link: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/How-Office-365-manages-DNS-records-5980474a-097f-4f21-a864-21245314957f?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US 

It states that a disadvantage of Office 365 creating and hosting the domain is "If you already use a public website with your domain for its address, like www.fourthcoffee.com, you must redirect people to that address from Office 365. Setting up redirection requires a static IP address, which is not always easily available for public websites."

However, if I set up the records automatically with GoDaddy will this happen? It states "Note, however, that you can't choose to have Office 365 manage DNS for a GoDaddy domain." I'm just not sure if this is what this means and I don't want our website to suddenly become inaccessible.

Thanks.

Hi Keith,

If the domain is managed by Office 365, you can add the A record to setup redirection to your public website, which requires a static IP address.

Regarding the notification, I'd like to explain that unlike a DNS hosting provider, it is not feasible to add various DNS records at Office 365. If you'd like to add/manage more DNS records for your custom domain, you may consider using a third party DNS hosting provider (e.g. GoDaddy) to host your domain.

Best Regards,
Jim

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

I don't feel like you answered my question.

I want to know if I follow the steps in step three to set up records automatically for my Godaddy domain will it effect my website? I want to make sure it does not.

Our domain is managed by GoDaddy. We only have the one domain and only intend on using the one domain.

Thanks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Keith,

Based on the article:
"The steps to add the domain and set up email and other services can done for you. The automated steps are step 1 of the domain setup steps, where you confirm domain ownership, and step 3, where your domain’s DNS records are set up with Office 365 services, like email."

The advantage is that it will automatically perform the steps for you, instead of you follow the steps manually. Since the overall steps are the same, it won't affect your website.

The notification informs that you will still manage these DNS records in GoDaddy.

Thanks,
Jim

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok great, so the automated step three will not result in me having to set up a static IP address.

Thanks for your help!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 1, 2021 Views 1,885 Applies to: