Changing Office 365 Username when using Azure AD Connect

Hi guys,

I'm trying to figure out how I can update the username of a given user in Office 365.  We use Azure AD Connect to sync our on premise Active Directory with Office 365.  I've tried to simply change the logon name in AD on prem.  After verifying that the sync took place the username did not update on the Office 365 side.  Any help is greatly appreciated!  Thank you

UPDATE:

I've tried using the commands...

>connect-msolservice

>Set-MsolUserPrincipalName -NewUserPrincipalName *** Email address is removed for privacy *** -UserPrincipalName *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

but then I get an error staying that I do not have permission to call this cmdlet.

I got the permission denied error because I wasn't using the correct "oldname".  The "oldname" has to match with what Azure has.  After making "oldname" match with what Azure currently had it worked and Azure/Office 365 was updated with the new username.  

Hi Ryan,

To look into this issue, may I collect the following information?

1. Locate the user in on-premise AD, and provide a screenshot of on-premise user principal name.

2. Use Get-MsolUser -UserPrincipalName *** Email address is removed for privacy *** to view detailed user information. Provide the output here.

3. Provide detailed error message “do not have permission to call this cmdlet”, including the command you’re using.  

To protect your privacy, I have sent a private message to request tenant information. Please click this link to see the private message: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/privatemessages/list

Thanks,

Young 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Ryan,

Please ignore my post above. I didn’t see you have resolved this issue. Sorry for my carelessness.

Please feel free to post a new thread when you need any further assistance.

Best regards,

Young 

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

No worries!  Thank you for the reply.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 30, 2021 Views 4,930 Applies to: