Office update via OfficeC2RClient.exe – Something went wrong“ error is as 30182-27 (1326)

Hi!
For some years we do update our C2R Offices using OfficeC2RClient.exe and files location from NAS. But … recently (can’t recall exactly from which time) we failed to-do this with Office version 16. Not sure what caused this, „Something went wrong“ error is as 30182-27 (1326) and from logs I found a’la „can’t reach v64.cab“, but it’s there and accessible as for Office 15 (aka 2013) we can update the same way from the very same NAS and access rights. Also, setup (using xml) from same NAS location does work ok also for Office 16!
Any ideas?
More thanks, Alar.

Question Info

Last updated October 13, 2019 Views 2,883 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Alar,

Thanks for your query in this community, I have tried using OfficeC2RClient.exe to update my Office from a network location, but I didn’t encounter the issue you described.

Please notice you have to change the following registry, before using OfficeC2RClient.exe to update.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\ClickToRun\Configuration\UpdatedEnabled = Yes

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\ClickToRun\Configuration\UpdateURL = YOUR NAS LOCATION

WARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use Registry Edit at your own risk. 

To help us understand your scenario better, we would be delighted if you can provide the following information with us:

1.Your detailed steps of updating Office 2016 with OfficeC2RClient.exe.

2.A screenshot of the error message.

3.Please send us your error log via Private Message.

Regards,

Alex Chen

-------------------------------------------------
If you feel a reply works for you, please kindly vote or mark it as it will be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi and thank You!
Well, not sure registry entries You pointed to (UpdatesEnabled = True and UpdateUrl = <NAS-location>) should be helpful, but I’ve tried and no success updating Office 2016. As I wrote, Office 2013 updated well using according to version registry settings.
(1) Created read-only Access to NAS,
(2) launched „Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ClickToRun\OfficeC2RClient.exe“ using parameters „/update user displaylevel=true forceappshutdown=false“, also „/update user displaylevel=true forceappshutdown=false updatetoversion=<version>“, also using „displaylevel=false“,
(3) „Checking for updates“ appear for some time and … “Something went wrong” error as I wrote, see attached picture.
I must see about log to share.

… StandaloneStartupBehavior::Start - Exit with error code 17002
… ProcessPool::Shutdown - Shutting down process pool.
… Main: returned: 17002
I have feeling I missed something, but …

More thanks, Alar.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Alar,

Thanks for your update.

We are sorry, this method didn’t work on your side, since you mentioned you created read-only access to NAS, could you try if it works under read/write access permission?

Also to help us further investigate on this issue, we will need you to collect more detailed logs, please follow the steps under For installation or patching section in this article.

Considering the logs might include your personal information and its size, please share it to us via Private Message.

Your cooperation is highly appreciated.

Regards,

Alex Chen

If you feel a reply works for you, please kindly vote or mark it as it will be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi and thanks!
Nope, read-write NAS access lead to the same. I’ll see about logs.
More thanks, Alar.

Sorry this didn't help.

Set registry changes for logging, but couldn’t find any logs in Windows temp.
Also, when I changed NAS domain name to ip address error changes to 30182-27 (3), probably does not mean much.
Uploaded log I found in user temp.
Alar.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Alar,

Based on the error in the logs, we tried to search for similar issues and found a thread in TechNet that was resolved:

Office 365 ProPlus 2016 and network location for updates

In the last reply, the user mentioned that it was resolved from a thread in our Answers forum:

Update from UNC - understanding update logs?

He mentions that he resolved the issue by changing the scheduled task, so please refer to James' reply in the Answers thread and let us know if this works for you.

Regards,

Sheen

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Alar,

Just wanted to check in and confirm whether you have resolved the issue. Let us know when you have time.

Regards,

Sheen

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi and thank You! I haven’t forgot about this thread. =)
Thread You pointed to before was about incorrect path, as I understood it. I have correct, I presume, path wo added “/Office/Data”.
So, nope, I haven’t resolved this issue. Well, also, I wasn’t correct – Office 2013 (aka 15) have the very same problem!, can’t update it from UNC (NAS) location. But can install wo problems both versions (meaning 13, 16 and 19, to be correct) using ODT from very same NAS location. I also added update options to install via xml to see which registry values created, at least in main keys, but seems to all the same.
Lost a bit, must admit.
But it gets more interesting – on one test device (just one device!) I managed to get it work, but using IP instead of hostname of NAS

. But all IP’s and hostname’s are correctly registered in local area network servers, I’m sure, and working ok. (LAN DHCP and DNS etc. conf is out of my hand, though.) I tried using IP on many other devices … nope, it doesn’t work. Also, seems to me, registry settings UpdatesEnabled and UpdateUrl does not affect updates in no way. (NB! Test device is WX April, other October.)
So … I started to think about workaround to achieve a goal. First I copy according Office version (15 or 16) for upgrade or downgrade from NAS to local disk and start update from there in same way as from NAS. (Only policy registry keys need to be changed accordingly as for update from NAS.) Well, on Windows 7 it was/is a bit tricky as error “Not enough server storage is available to process this command.” start to haunt, but … managed to. Just few days ago I’ve tested and seems to it does work. Maybe a bit slower than using via NAS (both takes minutes or two), but at least it seems to work as expected.
Well … or – as I wrote before – still something obvious for solution looking at my direction I just can’t spot!

More thanks, Alar.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Alar,

Thanks for all the explanation and updates. When providing the steps on how you did the update, on step 2:

launched „Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ClickToRun\OfficeC2RClient.exe“ using parameters „/update user displaylevel=true forceappshutdown=false“

We would like to know how you launched the exe? Was it through CMD (command prompt)? If so, have you tried to use the "Run as Administrator" option when opening CMD?

Office updates needs elevated permissions to be run manually.

Regards,

Sheen

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Alar,

You're welcome to let us know if you have any updates.

Regards,

Sheen

Sorry this didn't help.