Repair Office 365 Pro Plus shared server installation

I have a terminal server that has a shared installation of the 2016 version of office 365 pro plus (using the deployment tool). I have found that I cannot run a repair from the control panel. Is this how it should be? I need to run a repair as Excel will not open, either by opening a local or sharepoint document, or just on its own.
|
Hi Kylan,

By “I cannot run a repair from the control panel”, do you mean when you right-click the Office suite, you cannot find uninstall/change or you will get an error message when you choose Repair?

Meanwhile, do other Office applications work well? Please open Word>File>Account>capture a screenshot of Product Information and share it with us.

Moreover, if other users connect to the RDS server, will they encounter the same issue with Excel? We appreciate it if you can share with us some screenshots about “Excel will not open”. It can help us understand the situation better.

Best regards,
Tim

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

By “I cannot run a repair from the control panel”, I mean that when I highlight it in the "Add/Remove Programs" section and hit "Change", nothing happens. The dialogue box that should come up never comes up. Also, if I go into any of the office applications and got to File->Account->Check for updates, I do not get the pop up to check for updates either. As far as functionality of other office programs, they seem to work fine. For excel, I get the box with the Excel logo, and it just constantly says "Processing". Any users that jump into that server get the same symptoms.

Also, with any office programs on there, closing the program does not completely close it. I have to go into the task manager and end it after the fact.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Kylan,

Thanks for your updates.

From your description, it seems that the initial issue is limited to that Excel struck in starting.

I don’t recommend you perform an Online Repair because it will start re-installing Office applications and break the settings of shared computer activation. So I’d like you to do the following first.

1. Exit all Office applications.

2. Go to Control Panel > User Accounts > Credential Manager > Windows Credentials.

3. Remove all credentials there(This will remove your stored passwords.).

4. Run regedit as an administrator to open Registry Editor.

5. From Registry Editor, browse to:HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\Identity\Identities.

6. Check to see if there are any folders listed under Identities. If yes, delete them.

7. Restart the computer.

8. Check if there are some third-party or antivirus software installed on the server, if yes, update them to the latest version or close them.

After trying the steps above, start Excel again and check if you can get the update popup.

If the issue persists, you may try re-installing Office 2016 via the Office 2016 Deployment Tool of the latest version on the RDS server to check the outcome. If you haven’t used the Office 2016 Deployment Tool of the latest version, I suggest you give a shot. You can download it via https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49117.

Please let us know your updates at your convenience.

Regards,

Cliff

* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps, as it will be beneficial to more community members reading here.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Kylan,

Have you tried my suggestions above? Do you need further help?

Thanks,

Cliff

* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps, as it will be beneficial to more community members reading here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 15, 2021 Views 2,962 Applies to: