Dell Venue 8 Pro Windows 8.1 and MS Office Product Key

Hi all.  I am really not tech savvy.  Been searching all over and can't seem to find a decent answer/solution to my situation.

On January 2014, I bought a Dell Venue 8 Pro Windows 8.1.  In the box, it came with the MS Office 2013 product key (which I installed).  I am thinking of buying the Venue 11 and giving this tablet to a friend.  I plan on doing a factory resent (only way to give me peace of mind that all my info are erased).  Will my friend be able to use the same product key that came along with the tablet (it was included in the box) if I was to do a factory reset?

Please advise.  I haven't done the hard reset yet.  If I do decide to give it to her, I don't want to have her buy a new product key since this tablet came with one when I purchased it.

Thanks,

Lisa

Question Info

Last updated October 16, 2019 Views 8,318 Applies to:

Hello Lisa,

Does the box contains only the Office 2013 product key or the disk as well?

If you have only the product key then had you registered the product key with the Microsoft Account?

If you have the disk then you may use it to re-install after the factory reset is done.

In case if have only the product key and registered it with the Microsoft Account then log into www.Office.com/MyAccount website using that account and try to re-install by following the onscreen instructions.

You may also refer to the article mentioned below on how to re-install Office 2013 based on your mode of purchase:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/support/find-your-product-key-for-office-2013-HA102830243.aspx

For further queries, reply and we would be happy to assist.

Thank you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Lisa,

Does the box contains only the Office 2013 product key or the disk as well?

If you have only the product key then had you registered the product key with the Microsoft Account?

If you have the disk then you may use it to re-install after the factory reset is done.

In case if have only the product key and registered it with the Microsoft Account then log into www.Office.com/MyAccount website using that account and try to re-install by following the onscreen instructions.

You may also refer to the article mentioned below on how to re-install Office 2013 based on your mode of purchase:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/support/find-your-product-key-for-office-2013-HA102830243.aspx

Thank you.

Hello Nayana,

Thank you for the response.

Here are the answers to your questions...

1. The box came only with the key.  MS Office 2013 was already installed in the Dell Venue 8 that all I had to do was type in the product key.

2. I have not registerd the product key with the Microsoft Account.

So here are my questions...

1. Might be a silly question...but how do I "register" with Microsoft Account?

2. Since MS Office was pre-installed already (upon purchase of the product), if I do a "factory reset" the program will aways be there...so by registering with the Microsoft Account, I can re-use the same product key that came in the box in order to get full access to the MS Office again?

I just want to make sure I follow every instructions accurately in order to not lose MS Office in this device.

Thank you,

Lisa

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the update.

From your description if looks like Office 2013 is an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) copy of license, you may refer to the link given below which provides information on how to download and re-install Office 2013 version:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-in/products/get-office-oem-download-page-FX103849951.aspx

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

The tablet I bought already has the MS Office software in it.  I'm just asking if I did a "factory reset", would I still be able to use the product key?  Even if I did a hard/factory reset, nothing will happen to the MS Office software.  It is always part of the tablet.  I just needed to know if the product key is a "one time" use for this tablet.

For example...if this tablet had issues and viruses adn the best option is to do a factory reset, would that make the product key useless?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the reply.

If the system was purchases with Microsoft Office pre-installed then ‘Hard reset’ of the PC should not affect the Office installation. You will be able to use the Microsoft Office again.

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the reply.

If the system was purchases with Microsoft Office pre-installed then ‘Hard reset’ of the PC should not affect the Office installation. You will be able to use the Microsoft Office again.

Thank you.

Thank you.  Great...so that means the product key will still work (the product key that came with the box/product/tablet).

Lisa

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the reply.

If the product key is for Office 2013 then you will be able to re-install it on the computer or you should know the Microsoft Account which is associated with the Microsoft Office.

So it would be better to verify the product key and also get the information about Microsoft Office with your computer manufacturer to be on safer end.

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the reply.

Thank you.

And I'm here to tell you that it will.

If you restore your PC, unless you have the license key card ( and honestly, who keeps those things around). it will lose it and you'll be out of luck. 

I've always said that regardless of whom you buy the hardware from. Every PC that has Office pre-installed should have it's information recorded with Microsoft so license keys can be recovered. 

Sorry this didn't help.