Microsoft Office 2016 scam

I posted a question earlier about having the product key on my Microsoft Office 2016 purchase rejected, and, having availed myself of a young lady on the screen offering livechat  for my problem, being asked by a male caller for £69.99 to install Office on my new laptop. I have confirmation that this is a scam during a phone conversation with a Microsoft representative. Evidently the scammers have duplicated the Microsoft website for typing in a product key. It's really frightening that the largest computer software corporation in the world should be experiencing a month-long problem which they are still trying to resolve.

If you purchased an Office version you follow the instructions given with that purchase/card, and if you did that it would have been on the correct site.

This is also the correct site https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/office

Contributor since 2006
Currently win11 Pro & O365 Bus, multiple devices

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for your reply, which is inaccurate. In a telephone conversation I had with a Mircosoft representative this afternoon she confirmed to me that hackers had replicated the internet site for entering the product key to download Microsoft Office 2016 and seeking £69 to install it, through access to one's computer, where, of course, confidential information could then be gathered. She said that the Corporation had a considerable number of complaints from similar experiences to mine over the past month, and that Microsoft was working to rectify the situation. If this is happening with duplicated sites and downloads, then we should all be alarmed.

Greetings from Scotland.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you , Lorn, 

you are right. It has been now more than 6 months and Microsoft has not fixed the problem. I just bought an upgrade card from Costco and my ego got hurt badly: I got scammed and ended up talking to someone in India who tried to get money out of me to supposedly clean my computers from problems that go way beyond the capacity of the service I am paying for to protect me from viruses, which is Geeksquad. Now, Geeksquad is trying to be polite by telling me that I have been had. I find this hilarious. But the worst is really the impotency of Microsoft to do something about it, in more than six months. Maybe we should team up and go to a Microsoft shareholders meeting and do something about this. Henry

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 1,901 Applies to: