How to install Visio Professional 2016 Retail alongside Office 2016 Professional Plus Volume

Hello,

I have Office 2016 Professional Plus Volume license already installed on my laptop. I purchased today a standalone Visio 2016 Professional license. When I tried installing Visio I get an error message "Office installed with Click-to-Run and Windows Installer Editions  don't get along" error. From what I read volume licenses are based on Windows Installer and retail version are based on Click-to-Run. Is there a solution to this? Is it possible to get a Windows Installer version of Visio? It sounds silly that if I have a volume license for Office 2016 through my company, I cant buy my own standalone license of Visio and install it on the same machine. Thanks!

You have run into a brick wall intentional failure in the design of Office 365/2016 licensing.

MS is doing everything it possibly can to "encourage" one-time payment license holders to "upgrade" to 365.  That is they have made several design decisions that make using one-time payment licenses impractical.  This includes the artificial CTR vs MSI barrier they have introduced.  It is artificial because when CTR was initially introduced one of the selling features was that trials running in CTR could be installed along side MSI installations. It was so good that you could even have 2 copies of Outlook running at the same time.

All 2016/365 installations I know of, with the single exception of Pro Plus in volume licenses are all CTR.

There are a few options that I can suggest (none pretty, but that's MS's fault):

• get a Pro Plus CTR installer that will accept Volume license product keys
  • get a Visio MSI installer. I don't think they exist
  • install Visio inside of a VM like Hyper-V or VirtualBox (to name just 2)

Actually the Visio license situation is even worse.  Apparently they have decided that Visio is a "business only" product so owners of "consumer" licenses like 365 Home or even 365 University cannot install both side by side.

With a volume license you should have SA, Service Assurance, and a dedicated MS Support contact.  Talk to your IT department and find out if they do have special phone number to contact MS Support. You are more likely to get a good result that way than trying the general MS Support lines.  The general support lines are staffed by people who have no clue about what is needed to solve your problem.

If you do have to contact general support, the first thing to do is ask for a trouble ticket number. You will need it. The second thing to do is keep asking to be transferred to a supervisor.

The general consensus in complaints on this forum is that when a question gets too tough and long running they will "accidentally" disconnect your call.  With a trouble ticket number at least you will have a bit of a head start when you call back.

Be prepared to spend many hours, spread out over many days trying to get a solution.

Actually, for this sort of complex (to them) issue, my personal preference is to use the online chat support.  You contact the same pool of support people, but at least you get a time-stamped transcript of your "adventure" <sickly grin>.  At least when they ask repetitive questions you can copy and paste previous responses.  In the worst case situation you can publish the transcript online as documentation of their "good support" .

As well, you could make a suggestion at the UserVoice forum about this issue. It is not new, but the more times they hear it the more likely they are to act on it.

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 19, 2024 Views 2,431 Applies to: