How do I turn off the end of support banner in office 2010 permanently? (Office 2010, Windows)

Hi, 

I have a home and student edition of office 2010 that I am perfectly comfortable with. Every time I open the office suite (Word, Excel, Powerpoint), MS helpfully points out that support is ending and that I should upgrade to a newer version. Screenshot attached. 

I would like an exit from this persistent nagging and quasi privacy nightmare. Some regedit skills are in place and I can follow instructions when clearly given, even if they are complex in nature. 

Thanks 

Karthic 

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Its a win setting not an Office setting, when Support ends so do any updates/bugfixes/security updates and MS will remove the backup install from their site

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks but I navigated to the registry, created a new key under Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\15.0\ClickToRun called UpgradeAdvertised and set the value to '0' - problem solved. 

Came back to Win10 after maybe 10 years because we have a new laptop at home - it's agonizing, frustrating and nagging (try removing Cortana from your system for example).

MS has well and truly lost the plot IMHO - Luckily have Linux on my work laptop so can make the system do what I want it to, when I want it to. 

Thanks for the quick revert though - can see the community still vibrant, strong and responsive, which is great. 

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks but I navigated to the registry, created a new key under Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\15.0\ClickToRun called UpgradeAdvertised and set the value to '0' - problem solved. 

Came back to Win10 after maybe 10 years because we have a new laptop at home - it's agonizing, frustrating and nagging (try removing Cortana from your system for example).

MS has well and truly lost the plot IMHO - Luckily have Linux on my work laptop so can make the system do what I want it to, when I want it to. 

Thanks for the quick revert though - can see the community still vibrant, strong and responsive, which is great. 

I tried this and it did not work. I've rebooted and I triple checked that my key is just like the screenshot. I have Windows 10 Pro V 1909, Build 18363.900. Does this method not work with Pro?

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\15.0\ClickToRun

New DWord key called: UpgradeAdvertised and set the value to '1' - problem solved. 

Didn't work with value 0, did (appears to ...) work (suppressed spam) with value 1

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication”
Leonardo Da Vinci
“Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler”.
Albert Einstein

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem here. It's a nag screen for sure. Hey Microsoft, if I want to upgrade to Office 2019 and pay $149.99 for each of 3 PC's, I'll do that. But I don't want to. The 2010 version is good for all 3 PC's and is still functional and I want to keep it instead of paying $449.97 for 3 PC's. I'm sure there's a way to disable this irritating message. I tried tweaking the Trust Center settings for Message Bar and Privacy, but I still keep getting this annoying message. Someone please give us an answer that works instead of asking a zillion questions that is typical of this forum.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Someone please give us an answer that works instead of asking a zillion questions that is typical of this forum.

Hint: Sniping at the free support we are providing is no way to get help. 

I tried the registry key mentioned earlier, it appeared to work, until it didn't any more ...

Leonardo Da Vinci
Albert Einstein

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

"Hint: Sniping at the free support …" well said, and it wasn't directed at you. Those who have been with this forum for any length of time know there are some MVPs (not all, but a "certain type") who love to ask a bunch of questions instead of solving the problem and then give you a dozen links to articles that are of no help and leave you more frustrated than you were with the original problem! That said, I've reconciled myself to putting up with this intrusive message but am curious from a technical point of view how it can be done away with. I'll try tinkering with the d-word key when I get home.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Actually, this time I didn't think the comment was aimed at me, it was a general suggestion.  Most of us are unpaid volunteers. If someone peeves us, we just ignore them from there on.

On the other hand, I am one of "those" people. Sometimes I do ask questions. Sometimes I do provide links I think may help.

Trouble shooting is an exercise in pattern matching. If you recognize the symptoms described, the "pattern", you may be able suggest a specific fix.  Sometimes, even if you recognize the problem, there is more than one possible fix.  And sometimes, if you only vaguely recognize the problem.  If we were sitting at the problem computer we would go through various trouble shooting steps to try to identify the problem. Since we can't do "hands on", we have to ask questions.

The solution to the problem should be a registry hack. That is how Windows normally handles this sort of thing. The trick is finding the specific registry key, and value required. And MS can be switching up the key as people turn off the current one (thank you Windows "telemetry" (aka Spyware).

Leonardo Da Vinci
Albert Einstein

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't have 15.0. I have 14.0 and there was no ClickToRun or UpgradeAdvertised. I'll do a search for both.

I used RegSeeker and couldn't find either string. I'm on Windows 10 Home version 1909. The Office version I have is Home and Student 2010.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The solution to the problem should be a registry hack. That is how Windows normally handles this sort of thing. The trick is finding the specific registry key, and value required. And MS can be switching up the key as people turn off the current one (thank you Windows "telemetry" (aka Spyware).

I tried the two registry edits above. Each worked for one or two days.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 24, 2021 Views 5,155 Applies to: