Error 1913: Setup cannot update file C:/windows/win.ini.

I get an error during installation of MS office 2007 pro

Error 1913: Setup cannot update file C:/windows/win.ini.
Verify that the file exists in your system and that you have sufficient
permissions to update it

This happens when I try to upgrade MS Office XP which is office 2002

and I get it while trying to upgrade MS business  Office 2003.

I have tested in multiple senarios with XP and Windows 7 and found that in most case its due to Office trial version previously removed. However this was unaffected by other version of Office until 2007. There does not seem to be a valid fix or explaination anywhere on the web except for my post explaining how to overcome this extreme annoyance with MS trial software, irritation and time consuming to say the least!

To top this off, the one and only MS reference to it in a support article, yeah that does nto work and only applys to XP and server 2003.

Question Info

Last updated August 28, 2018 Views 15,463 Applies to:
Answer

Hi Dutspup,

I am not sure if this will help you resolve your issues... However I ran into error 1913 too but when I was installing Office 2010 RTM. I had Trend Micro as a Virus Scanner enabled. I disabled the scanner then the didn't get the WIN.INI error message.

However, after I rebooted I couldn't access my entire PC. I then rebooted again in safe mode and removed the virus scanner. And now all is well except that I don't have a virus scanner on my PC! At least however I've discovered where the conflict was!

I hope that the above may help you do your upgrade to Office 2007. Personally I prefer Office 2010 over 2007 as Outlook 2010 behaves much much better!

JM

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.