The error 1402 is due to insufficient permissions to modify sections of the registry that is required to perform the action.
Click on the below mentioned link and install the fix it tool and remove the office program and try reinstalling the office package. (fix it tool works only on 32bit operating system) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971179
Take the system into a "clean boot" state, and then run Office setup. This disables the third-party applications. The third-party application that is denying access to the registry sub key can no longer deny access.
For more information about how to take the system into a "clean boot" state, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
To perform Clean boot in Windows 7
Accessing the System Configuration Utility
1. Click Start type msconfig in the search box and press Enter
Configure Selective Startup options
1. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
2. Uncheck Load Startup Items
3. Select the Services tab
4. Check Hide all Microsoft services
5. Click Disable all
6. Click on OK
7. Click Restart and try installing office .
After performing the necessary steps, restore your system by doing the following:
8. Click Start and select Control Panel
9. Click System and maintenance
10. Click Administrative Tools
11. Double click System Configuration
12. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
13. Click Ok
14. Click Yes, when asked to restart your computer .
Modifying REGISTRY settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of REGISTRY settings can be solved. Modifications of these
settings are at your own risk.
Follow method 2 (step 1 to 7)
To modify the permissions in the registry,
1. click on Start Run. Type Regedit and first back up the registry keys before modifying it. Note: Right click on computer and click export and save the backup of the registry on any location.
2. Locate to the registry
which needs the permission, right click on it and click on permissions and then click on advanced tab and click on owner tab and select the owner and click apply and then click on permissions tab on the same window and click on add tab and type EVERYONE and
click ok and make sure that you click on full control check box and click ok ,once you get back to the previous window you will find two check boxes check both the boxes click on apply and close the window.
Once your are done with this step install office again.
Follow method 2 (step 8 to 13).
Did this solve your problem?
Sorry this didn't help.
Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.
How satisfied are you with this reply?
Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.