Question

Cannot install Office 2010 -- error occurred while processing OSPPWMI.MOF

jppowers asked on

I am trying to update my daughter's Vista computer from Office 2003 to Office 2010. I purchased and downloaded the Microsoft Office Professional Academic 2010 installer from DigitalRiver. Her computer is running Vista on a Dell Latitude E6400.

The installer chugs along for a while and even finishes up, then rolls back all the installed files and finishes with a very non-descript error message "Microsoft Office Professional 2010 encountered an error during setup". I turned on full logging and excerpted the message below.

I've tried lots of advice; turned off antivirus; renamed \ProgramData\Microsoft Help; uninstalled 2003; reinstalled 2003 and chose Upgrade in the 2010 installer.

CAQuietExec:  "C:\Windows\system32\WBEM\mofcomp.exe" "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OfficeSoftwareProtectionPlatform\OSPPWMI.MOF"
CAQuietExec:  Microsoft (R) MOF Compiler Version 6.0.6000.16386
CAQuietExec:  Copyright (c) Microsoft Corp. 1997-2006. All rights reserved.
CAQuietExec:  Parsing MOF file: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OfficeSoftwareProtectionPlatform\OSPPWMI.MOF
CAQuietExec:  MOF file has been successfully parsed
CAQuietExec:  Storing data in the repository...
CAQuietExec:  An error occurred while processing item 2 defined on lines 12 - 20 in file C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OfficeSoftwareProtectionPlatform\OSPPWMI.MOF:
CAQuietExec:  Compiler returned error 0x8007054fError Number: 0x8007054f, Facility: Win32
CAQuietExec:  Description: An internal error occurred.
CAQuietExec: 
CAQuietExec:  Error 0x80070003: Command line returned an error.
CAQuietExec:  Error 0x80070003: CAQuietExec Failed

10 people had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
Groverboy replied on

I had the same problem, but what solved it was, no kidding , installing Windows Search 4.0 first. You can find it here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/desktopsearch/choose/windowssearch4.mspx?tab=Install%20It

There must be a component in Windows Search 4.0 that Office 2010 needs to install, at least on some systems, because I had tried everything , including the FixIt tools, but wasn't able to install successfully until I had installed Windows Search 4.0.

Be the first person to mark this helpful

Abuse history

progress