Office 2010 Installation fails: Error 1935 HRESULT: 0x80070003

Employer offers MS Home Use Program and purchased Office 2010 Professional Plus update to update Office 2007 on home Dell XPS 720, 8 GB RAM, 500GB free space on primary C Drive.  Windows 7 SP1, clean install on new hard drives.

At aproximately 50% installation: MS Office Plus 2010 encountered an error during setup.  Error 1935.  An error occurred during installation of assembly component {3FA0170E-227C-37C7-BAC0-64691A992C81}.  HRESULT: 0x80070003.

Fairly computer literate (CompTIA A+ Certified but not sure that's a good thing - grinning), and have done  DEEP dives on forums.  SFC /Scannow revealed no errors.  Repaired .NET Framework 4.

Have not uninstalled Office 2007 for fear of being high and dry should installation of 2010 fail (may be at home but still have lots of work to do).  I ran into this once before and ended up using my Windows 7 installation disk to install Win7 as refresh.  Only took about 4-5 hours and hope NOT to have to do that again.

My relatively uneducated guess is that it is related to .NET Framework somehow.

Really appreciate any help and hopefully a relatively simple solution.

Thanks so much.

Question Info

Last updated December 25, 2019 Views 18,804 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

"Error 1935. An error occurred during the installation of assembly component" - Error message when you try to install an Office program: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926804
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-office_install/error-1935-or-2908-when-installing-office-2010/99d5c577-49af-4e95-afba-f5af7061f50e?page=2

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926804

Restart the computer in Windows Safe mode by following the steps given in the link below:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

In Windows Safe mode open the following location:
C:\Windows
Rename the SoftwareDistribution folder to SoftwareDistribution.old

Close all the windows then click on Start > All Programs > Accessories > Run
Copy and paste the following text in the Open field and then press Enter

fsutil resource setautoreset true C:\

Restart the computer then try to install Office 2007

If that doesn’t’ work, another suggestion, Win7 specific is to do a non-destructive repair Windows using your installation disk.

Occam actually said:
“It is futile to do with more what can be done with fewer.”
On the other hand,
A theory is not “better” if it is simpler
but it might well be more useful
and that counts for more

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks so much Rohn007 for a simple and straightforward potential solution.

Unfortunately, followed the steps and at 50% got the same Error 1935 message.

Really appreciate your input and help.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

OK,. I did a search for that 0x800.. code and found these long shots:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-office_install/cannot-install-office-2010-error-occurred-while/505f95b1-0c89-4794-a19c-e99053394358

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-office_install/error-1935-installing-office-2010-on-vista/71537f3b-c873-4959-b8cd-50e8bbbe8c7f
Occam actually said:
On the other hand,
and that counts for more

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks.  My effort to do a nondestructive reinstall of Win7 resulted in some minor corrupted files resolved by using Acronis backup restore.  I'm out of town until the weekend, and will check out the "long shots" and will also be collecting to some log files.  I ordered the $13 DVD when I took advantage of the Home Users Program, and will use the DVD this weekend and try, try, try again.

Great forum and really appreciate the assistance and input.

Ed

Sorry this didn't help.

Ed

We will have a look at the log files and get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks for uploading!

Sorry this didn't help.

I thought after installing Office 2007 SP3 something magical might happen and I could install the Office 2010 Prof Plus upgrade.  Alas, no such luck.   Same error: 1935 ... occurred during the installation of assembly component {3FA0170E-227C-37C7-BAC0-64691A992C81} HRESULT: 0x8007003.

I have run sfc several times (no errors detected).  As far as I can tell all of my Win7 SP1 updates have installed, although I still think it has something to do .NET or VIsual C++ 2005 (although I don't really know what I'm talking about :-)).

Since I'm running Office 2010 at work, would love to have the program on my home machine as well.

Any guidance will be greatly appreciately.

Ed

Sorry this didn't help.

Just an update of other things I tried today based on searches of similar problems:

(1) Installed Net Framework 1.1

(2) Unchecked the box during install to automatically validate install

(3) Downloaded trial version (32-bit) from MS and tried to install.

(4) "Clean restart" and install

Some error as above.  In Sept I tried to safe reinstall of Win7 and my system got "hosed."  Fortunately, I use Acronis backup and restored a recent version that fixed the Win7 boot problems.

Not that I want to spend more money, but wondering if upgrading to Win7 Prof might reinstall any programs/components that are missing/corruped (even the sfc /scannow shows no problems)?

Or do I just wait a year when I'm going to replace this home Dell XPS720. :-)

I

Sorry this didn't help.

No, Office 2007 and 2010 installations should be separate. At least to the point that it wouldn't matter what level of patching had been done on 2007 to the installation of 2010.

Apparently I stand corrected. If you took a look the link I provided earlier, they give one possible solution to a 1935 error (uninstall 2007)
<snip>
Possible solution(s)

-This most commonly occurs due to issues while upgrading Office. First thing to try is to remove the previous version of Office prior to installing new version. You can remove the previous version of Office automatically using the appropriate fix it from KB290301. After removing the previous version of Office, then attempt to install the newer version of Office.

-The fix it from the following article. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946414
</snip>

Since you do have an image copy backup you can restore to, uninstalling 2007 should not be as big a risk as it seems. At worst, you could simple restore to get 2007 back relatively "quickly"

Installing Net Framework 1.1 shouldn't be needed since you already had 2007 installed. V1.1 is old, Net Framework is up to V4 now.

I always turn on any validation I can find. It is always better to find out as early as possible when there are identifiable errors

The trail was a good try, but the problem is more fundamental. There is something incorrect / deficient / "wrong" in your Windows installation, not in the Office installation file itself.

Paying for Win7 Pro is a waste of money.  Since safe re-install of current Win7 didn't help, a full "fresh" install of your current Win7 would be as effective at eliminating your problem as upgrading to Pro.  Actually, probably more effective than doing an "upgrade" to Pro rather than doing a fresh install of pro.

There is absolutely no reason to have to wait for a new computer to be able to install 2010. If the machine can run 2007 it certainly can run 2010.  The only thing you have to do is be willing to invest more time in beating windows into submission, tracking down the cause of the problem and fixing it.

Try googling for the error code as well as using the search code at the top of this page. There are lots of possible fixes for the problem out there. The trick is finding the right one.

(I don't think there really is anything relevant in this tip but ...)
Troubleshoot problems that occur when you try to install an Office system program from the Office CD or DVD - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924619

Note (in theory) Microsoft provides technical support at no cost for problems that involve the installation of Microsoft Office system. If you need help, visit the Microsoft Online Assisted Support Options Web site. Click the following link to visit the Microsoft Online Assisted Support Options Web site, and then select your product to contact support:  http://support.microsoft.com/select/default.aspx?target=assistance&c1=505&GSSOrid/sekNire595

Occam actually said:
On the other hand,
and that counts for more

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks so much.  Really appreciate it.  I really was getting close to buying Win7 Pro, so you saved me a chuck of change.

And with a fresh image, I think next weekend I may try uninstalled Office 2007.  I may have a little more free time then for the "beat into submission process" (grinning).

Ed

Sorry this didn't help.

Before uninstalling, google for "Error 80070003" also. There are lots of other possible fixes.

Good luck.
Occam actually said:
On the other hand,
and that counts for more

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.