Office 2010 activation key problem

Office Professional 2010 was installed on my machine but I had to remove it because of a computer problem. I removed it through the set up disk option and have now re-installed it but it won't let me re-activate it as it says the key is invalid.
I removed it through the set up disk option            

What do you mean by that?

Are you sure that the Product Key you are entering is for Office and not something else? Where are you getting this Product Key from?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for your response.

Re "I removed it through the set up disk option? " I put the Office software disk in and ran set up and selected "Remove Office from this computer" rather than using the Windows "Add/Remove programs" method.

The product keyw as taken from the Microsoft Product Key label inside the Software CD plastic box. Two people have independently tried it and got the same result.

I have since sent an email to the software supplier on the matter and await a response.

Regards

Kim Smart

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Just for clarification, is this what happened?

1.  When you reinstalled Office 2010, when you entered the product key at the very first step of installation, it was accepted with a Green checkmark.

2.  The product installed normally.

3.  Upon finishing installation and after first starting an Office program (say, Word), the product tried to go online to do an automatic online activation.

4.  The automatic online activation failed, stating that the product key entered is invalid.

Please refer to the product packing and installation disc.  Do the packaging and disc say Office Professional 2010 or Office Professional Plus 2010?

Please refer to the installed product.  Does it call itself Office Professional 2010 or Office Professional Plus 2010?  In the Start Menu folder for Office 2010, are InfoPath 2010 and/or Lync 2010 listed with the other Office programs?

Please tell us from what source was the product purchased, and how much you paid for it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

See comments below

Just for clarification, is this what happened?

1.  When you reinstalled Office 2010, when you entered the product key at the very first step of installation, it was accepted with a Green checkmark.

Yes

2.  The product installed normally.

Yes

3.  Upon finishing installation and after first starting an Office program (say, Word), the product tried to go online to do an automatic online activation.

Yes

4.  The automatic online activation failed, stating that the product key entered is invalid.

Yes

Please refer to the product packing and installation disc.  Do the packaging and disc say Office Professional 2010 or Office Professional Plus 2010?

Office Professional 2010

Please refer to the installed product.  Does it call itself Office Professional 2010 or Office Professional Plus 2010?  In the Start Menu folder for Office 2010, are InfoPath 2010 and/or Lync 2010 listed with the other Office programs?

Activation wizard refers to Office Professional Plus 2010 and InfoPath2010 is included as an office program.

Please tell us from what source was the product purchased, and how much you paid for it.

Amazon (supplier SOFTWERE FOR SALE) in April 2010 for £140.

Regards

Kim Smart

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Further to my earlier response I bought it on 4OCT2010 not 10APR2010. I misread the date format.

Regards

Kim Smart

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Unfortunately all signs are pointing to a case of high-quality counterfeit software.

1.  Product key accepted by Setup (green check mark) but rejected for activation---means that the product key matches the algorithm used to generate product keys for that specific product (version and edition) thus gets the green check mark; but when the exact product key itself is not found in the database on MS product activation servers, or the product key is on the list of keys cancelled due to abuse, the product key is nongenuine.

2.  High quality counterfeit materials that are labeled for one product but that install a different product.  Office Professional 2010 is not the same as Office Professional Plus 2010.

3.  The actual installed product is not the product as described on the discs (Pro Plus vs Pro).

4.  Purchased at a too-good-to-be-true price from a "dodgy" vendor.  You paid £149 when the "going" retail price is much closer to Microsoft's regular price of £429.99  http://emea.microsoftstore.com/UK/en-GB/Microsoft/Office-Professional-2010

5.  The product passed activation when you first bought it but now does not activate.  This is an indicator that the product key may actually have been a valid volume licensing product key issued to a real Microsoft corporate customer, or that this could have been issued to a Microsoft customer under the TechNet program, but that the key was lost, stolen, or otherwise compromised and is now being widely counterfeited, and that Microsoft has "caught on" to this product key being abused and has blocked it from further activation.

The good news is that based on what you have written, you "should" qualify for a free replacement from Microsoft.  Please refer to this page and fill out the counterfeit report.  https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/howtotell/cfr/Report.aspx  Please review the FAQ for that page, link at the bottom left.

If you do decide to submit the report, please come back here and let us know how it all turns out.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have tried to complete it twice but I got through to 5 and not 6. I am not sure whether I was successful or not so will try again tomorrow, am now tied up with other issues. Thanks very much for your hel so far.

Regards

Kim

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I confirm that I have at last been able to submit my counterfeit report. It took nine goes but I got there in the end. The report reference is

Counterfeit Report Number: 62QW-VHED

I will update the position when I receive a response.

Regards

Kim Smart

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Persistence pays off...good show :-)

Let us know how it all goes!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 501 Applies to: