Upgrade from Entourage '08 to Outlook '16

I currently have Entourage and purchased Office365 with Outlook. I got my iCloud email set up, but can't figure out how to import my email mailboxes set up in entourage with years of archived emails. Is there any way to import these into my new Outlook?  

Somewhat related, once I have Office365 successfully installed, is it recommended to uninstall the Office 2008 programs. 

Question Info

Last updated September 19, 2019 Views 1,476 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

you are going to need to have Outlook 2011  on your Mac.
You need to import from Entourage to Outlook 2011, then Outlook 2011 to Outlook 2016

Thank you. The MS help desk helped me do this migration. Thankfully, I didn't need to purchase 2011 just for the purpose of transferring the information to my new Office 2016. 

12 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Reply In reply to deleted message

Joe's answer was simply wrong, so I deleted it. You do NOT need Office 2011 to migrate to 2016. Outlook 2016 can import 2008 data.

If you want to be extra cautious, you can export your 2008 Identities using File > Export and then use File > Import in 2016, but if you do a regular update, the whole process should be automatic.

I'd be more worried that you have the minimum system requirements before installing Office 2016. You'll find the requirements here:

https://products.office.com/en-us/office-system-requirements#Office2016-suites-section

Pardon me, but that's complete & utter bull****.

I have a Mac Pro 4,1. I upgraded the OS from 10.6.8 to 10.11.6 yesterday. My Entourage 2008 (the only part of Office that I use every day) immediately started acting up (a new blank email automatically opens on launch, Gmail accounts can't be accessed, etc). Fair enough - it's par for the course for there to be issues with Office 2008 now I'm running El Capitan.

So, I buy Office 2016 Home & Business for Mac (perpetual licence) and install it. I then update Autoupdate to the latest version (3.11) and all the Office applications to the latest versions (15.39).

I export everything from Entourage 2008, saving in .rge format (the only option given).

When I try to import into Outlook 2016, the options given are:

• Outlook 2011 data on this computer

• Outlook for Windows archive file (.pst)

• Outlook for Mac archive file (.olm)

In other words, there's no option to import from Office 2008.

I choose the first option.

Two options then appear:

• Import from here

/Users/[myusername]/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Office 2011 Identities

below this it says "No data found", or there's the second option, which is

• Import from another location

Notice that it doesn't say "Import from here ... Office Identities" or "Import from here ... Office 2011 or 2008 Identities" or similar. It says Office 2011 Identities2011 - that’s it. Nothing else.

When I choose "Import from another location" and navigate to my .rge files, they're greyed out.

Therefore - it's not possible to directly migrate from Office 2008 to Office 2016.

Even Microsoft themselves categorically state this.

If you go to:

https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/Import-email-messages-contacts-and-other-items-into-Outlook-2016-for-Mac-6cc48404-a65c-4b8c-a12a-95a905249414

scroll to the bottom of the page, and click on "Frequently asked questions", the second question is:

Can I import from Entourage 2008 into Outlook 2016 for Mac?

The answer is:

It's a two-step process. First, import your Entourage data into Outlook 2011 for Mac. Once that's done, import from Outlook 2011 to Outlook 2016 for Mac by following the steps in this article. Visit Answers.Microsoft.com for more information. (My emphasis added).

How a Microsoft "Community Moderator" can make such a rudimetary blunder is beyond me. I think “Joe’s answer” deserves a full public pardon and a reinstatement…

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.