If you have Silverlight installed and tried installing the latest version of Office 2016 for Mac via Microsoft AutoUpdate, the AutoUpdate tool crashes.
You may be experiencing this issue due to an older version of Silverlight installed in your machine. We recently have released a fix to protect Microsoft AutoUpdate from crashing due to an older version of Silverlight.
To fix this issue, please do the following:
Update to the latest version of Silverlight (version 5.1.50901.0)
- Follow the steps to install the latest version of Silverlight: https://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight
- Open Safari, and on the top menu, click Safari > Preferences.
- Go to Security and then in the section “Internet plug-ins” click Website Settings….
- On the left side list of plug-ins, select Silverlight and then make sure that “Allow” is selected from the drop down menu.
- Once the Silverlight update is complete, try updating Office for Mac via Microsoft AutoUpdate.
Install the latest version of Office 2016 for Mac, version 15.28.0 (build 16111300)
- Use Help > Check for Updates from any of the Office 2016 apps to get updates to the newer build.
- If for some reason you can’t update via Help, you can manually download and install the new build from this article.