How to stop being pestered to turn on automatic updates

I have Office365 Home for Mac installed.  Every time I reboot my Mac or launch an Office app, I get a notification to turn on automatic updates with options "Not Now" and "Turn On" (or something similar).  There's no option to "stop asking" and I'm sick of clicking on Not Now.  With the standalone product, the auto updater launched when there was an update, or when I asked it to do so.  How can I get back to that?  I.e. I don't mind it launching the updater when there is an update, which I can then choose to install or not, but I don't want to it to auto-install anything without asking (and I don't want prompting every 5 mins to turn it on.)

Thanks.

Andrew

(my user name was picked in total frustration of using the website MS support feature to get an answer ending up in an endless loop with a chat robot, so I gave up on MS support and hope the community can help)

|
Answer
Answer

Hi Matt,

You can completely turn of the Mac OS Notification for MAU and all will work just as you want it to.

The notification is sent by Notifications in the macOS and can be turned off in System Preferences-->Notifications as Andrew mentioned above.

This has no effect at all on when and how Microsoft AutoUpdate works. I have ran MAU to test this recently. You can still choose "Automatically Check" and then will alert you if there are updates.

As I reply to Andrew in my reply above, Disabling MAU in Notification Centre has no effect on this. Based on my latest test, I disabled it and the notification is no longer there. MAU provides its own pop-up notification WITHOUT triggering macOS notification. Please have a try and let us know if it helps.

@Andrew,

Based on my latest test, I found that the AutoUpdate tool will continue running in the background and MAU provides its own pop-up notification WITHOUT triggering  macOS notification, once you unchecked all the options in MAU settings. 

Regards,

Eli

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 30, 2020 Views 842 Applies to: