Question

Q: Guidelines for When to Use ActiveX Control versus User Form Control

Suppose we need a Command Button -Click on an Excel spreadsheet or some other type of input/event action . Are there any guidlelines for when activeX is preferred to a Userform control? What are the advantages of one over the other?

See if this link helps you any (scroll down to the section entitled "Worksheet with Form and ActiveX controls" and start reading from there)...

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/overview-of-forms-form-controls-and-activex-controls-on-a-worksheet-HA010237663.aspx

NOTE: Please mark the message or messages (yes, you can mark more than one) that answer your question as the "Answer" so that others will know your question has been resolved.
*** PLEASE READ ***

If this response answers your question, please mark it as the "Answer".

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

2 people were helped by this reply

The nomenclature is messy. For controls that are placed on worksheets, you have the old original controls that appear on the Forms command bar and you have ActiveX/MSForms controls that appear on the Controls command bar. Controls that are placed on user forms are always ActiveX controls that reside in the MSFORMS library.

I generally use the ActiceX controls for controls on worksheets. They give you many more options for customization. It has been said by some respected developers that the ActiveX contols on worksheets are less stable that the old Forms controls, but I have not found that to be the case in my experience. I recommend that you go with the ActiveX controls, but that is just my opinion. I would strongly suggest, though, that whatever route you do, stick with it for all controls. It could get confusing if you mix and match the Forms contols with the ActiveX controls.

On an additional note, the old Forms controls are considered by Microsoft to be obsolete, so they will not appear, by default, in the Object Browser. If you want to see them in the Object Browser, right-click in a blank area in the OB and select "Show Hidden Members" from the popup window.

Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP, Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com
Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Excel MVP 1998 - 2014
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com

Sorry this didn't help.

If I got a Excel WorkSheet with around 5000 checkboxes, in order to got it loaded or refreshed quicker, is it better use forms' controls or ActiveX' ones ???
Thanks in advance.

Sorry this didn't help.

The nomenclature is messy. For controls that are placed on worksheets, you have the old original controls that appear on the Forms command bar and you have ActiveX/MSForms controls that appear on the Controls command bar. Controls that are placed on user forms are always ActiveX controls that reside in the MSFORMS library.

I generally use the ActiceX controls for controls on worksheets. They give you many more options for customization. It has been said by some respected developers that the ActiveX contols on worksheets are less stable that the old Forms controls, but I have not found that to be the case in my experience. I recommend that you go with the ActiveX controls, but that is just my opinion. I would strongly suggest, though, that whatever route you do, stick with it for all controls. It could get confusing if you mix and match the Forms contols with the ActiveX controls.

On an additional note, the old Forms controls are considered by Microsoft to be obsolete, so they will not appear, by default, in the Object Browser. If you want to see them in the Object Browser, right-click in a blank area in the OB and select "Show Hidden Members" from the popup window.

Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP, Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com

The instability in ActiveX controls is seen when occasionally the buttons become larger (or smaller) with each click. There doesn't seem to be an easy solution to this when it happens, except to close the file and restart Excel and hope for the best. The old Form controls do not do this.

Sorry this didn't help.

1 person was helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 16,981 Last updated: April 25, 2018 Applies to: