microsoft excel has stopped working

I have upgraded from office 2007 to Office 2013 on a windows 7 machine. Excel will not close cleanly, I get an error message saying "microsoft excel has stopped working.." and have two options "... search for a solution", which presumably doesn't fix the problem because the same error occurs the next time, or "Close the program". This happens even if I just open and close excel without opening a workbook. (I also receive an error message that "...office telemetry has stopped working...", is this a separate error or linked to the excel  issue?) Can you help please?

Question Info

Last updated June 23, 2018 Views 3,636 Applies to:

Hi,

Thank you for choosing Microsoft Community and posting the question. By description, I understand that Excel 2013 crashes when opened.

Does this occur only with Excel 2013 applications or with all the Office applications?

If the issue occurs only with Excel, then try opening Excel in safe mode and check. Follow the steps:
1. Click on Start ->All Programs.
2. Go to Accessories -> Click on RUN.
3. Type Excel /safe (leave a space after Excel) -> Click OK.

If Excel safe works, then follow the steps disable the add-ins:
1. Click on File -> Go to Options.
2. Click on Add-ins -> select an add-in type ->Click Go
3.Uncheck the Add-ins to disable -> Click OK.

If the issue occurs with all the Office applications, then let us repair the Office 2013 and verify results.
1. Press Windows + R ->type appwiz.cpl ->click
OK
2. Select Office 2013 Suite -> Click on Change ->Repair.

You may also refer to the below article and follow the steps:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2758592

I hope the steps provided fixes the issue, if not provide additional information and I will be happy to help you.

Thank you

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your post, in answer: -

"By description, I understand that Excel 2013 crashes when opened." No, I can open and work with files, it is closing the program that causes the error.

" Does this occur only with Excel 2013 applications or with all the Office applications?" Excel and Word.

"...
disable the add-ins:" Add-Ins were present, but 'inactive' i.e. already unchecked. I also selected 'Disabled Add-Ins' and pressed Go, but there were none.
 I am able to 'remove' or 'make inactive' but there is no option to disable. I ensured that no add-ins were 'checked', but excel and word still error on closing.

"
If the issue occurs with all the Office applications, then let us repair the Office 2013 and verify results." I tried the 'quick repair' option, even though my other office programs are not erroring, I still have the same problem with excel and word.

I also occasionally receive the error message "office telemetry agent has stopped working, search for solution, etc." is this linked to the excel and word problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for replying. It looks like the issue might be with the how the Office 2013 was deployed by the Admin .

Office telemetry is basically a new compatibility monitoring framework that can speed up Office deployments.

As none of the steps worked and the computer being on a network/Domain, I would recommend to post your query in Office IT Pro for better assistance:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/officeitpro/threads

If you have any other issues with Office suites and office related products, reply and we will be happy to assist you.

Thank You

Sorry this didn't help.