Excel 2013 Error 32809

I have come across an odd behaviour in Excel.  

I have an XL2013 workbook that has been operating 100% correct.  Some of my users have XL 2010 and 2007.  They reported when the workbook opens they are receiving an 32809 error.  This has been working for many months in this enviornment, so something has changed.  My first thought was the VBA code.

I was able to go back to a version of the workbook that would work in all environments again.  What I have discovered is that when I save the "working" copy on my xl2013 machine, it corrupts the workbook.  I do not even need to change any code.  Just open the functioning workbook, click save as and give it a new name, and this new workbook will now raise the 32809 error on the older machines.  On my XL 2013 machine, it continues to operate fine.

Hoepfully someone has some ideas on this.

Thanks.

Question Info

Last updated November 6, 2018 Views 27,050 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

This has been working for many months in this enviornment, so something has changed.

Hi Mark,

Microsoft's December Patch Tuesday seems to have introduced a few issues in some Office apps.
Not sure your users have received/installed these patches but have a look to thread KB2553154 Breaks COM and Active X controls in Excel (referencing one but there are others...).

Microsoft has acknowledged an issue after the installation of the MS14-082 bulletin (KB3017349) that applies to some Office apps v.2007, 2010 and 2013. Although the article does not ref the 32809 error your users receive I think it makes sense to test the proposed "fix" on a few users PCs as this only takes a few minutes...

Hope this helps

Cheers

Lz.

Cheers | Lz. (GMT +1)

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have deleted all EXD files as per the suggestion of the article.  However, files being saved on one particular computer continue to generate the 32809 error on others.

I may just have to try the old uninstall/reinstall route.

Sorry this didn't help.

So i have uninstalled office, rebooted, reinstalled, and sadly the problem persists.  

hopefully MS can provide a more official response on this issue.

Sorry this didn't help.

This is not exactly a fix, but after trying all ideas I could find on this issue.  I have uninstalled my 32bit version, rebooted, installed 64bit office and the problem is gone.

Now I need to deal with 64bit office excentricies!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi all,
I'm getting the same type of issues (mix) since the last batch of MS updates (approx 2-3 weeks ago - mid Jan 2015 ) in our company.  (currently approx 400 PCs - all on Win7 64bit with MS office 2010 32bit - while about approx 40 are using affected Excel tools)

All started with "frozen" Active-X controls in Excel tools ... immediately after "you need to restart to complete an MS update" popup ... for all users.
for most of users i have resolved it with a suggested .bat file -> removing all *.exd 's on C:\ drive in any possible folders. (and all started working OK after this for most tool's users).

However ... for last 5 of them ... they keep on getting strange mix of Run-time error '32809'  + in combination with Run-time error '57121'  ... on the same code :  Sheets("xyz").select

After quite some troubleshooting I have narrowed it down to 3 scenarios I have seen so far ... and currently all seems to be depending on the fact that the "xyz" sheet has any Active-X control in it.
3 scenarios - for the exactly same code :
1. - works OK - as long as there are no Active-X controls on the destination sheet
2. - run time error 32809 - if there is an Active-X combo-box-drop-down-menu control on the destination sheet
3. - run time error 57121 - if there is an Active-X up/down arrows control on the destination sheet

Which means that the issue is not in the code (or at least not in the "sheets("yxz").select") but rather in the actual Active-X control bit of it.
If user logs into other PC => works OK on the new PC.

After about week of unsuccessful attempts to fix this (after IT did also MS Office re-install - but still before IT will resort to re-flashing entire PC ) ... the only workaround I found is to actually remove ActiveX controls from the destination sheets (if possible) and all works OK even for them.
E.g. replacing arrows / images with assigned macros for an activeX up/down arrow  / sliders etc
or
replacing regular form drop down menu -> for ActiveX one -> missing out on 'full-text-search-while-you-type' bit of it.

Unfortunately this won't fix it ... as we have many tools using ActiveX controls.
is anyone experiencing the same this year?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes I experience the exact same problem. Even the fixit MS send out wont fix the problem for me. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I have exactly the same problems but when I save as a .xlsb file the controls work correctly. This is not a solution but it allows me to continue working on affected files for the moment.

After I posted the above I did some more testing and saving a binary file now does not correct the problem. I have no idea why the first saved giving me working controls but not subsequent attempts. 

Sorry this didn't help.

The only fix i found was a complete reinstall of windows and office.  At some point in the process, I figured I would spend less time doing the reinstall then to try to continue to resolve this issue.

Sorry this didn't help.

After lots of time wasted I ended up with a full rebuild also.

Very annoying.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for that. I finally have my files in a workable condition. I've had to remove Combo boxes, but I can workaround that by using Data Validation.

Regards

Gordon

Sorry this didn't help.