Excel save errors "object reference not set to an instance of an object" & "object passed must be a Word.Document object" etc

Hello.

I have an encrypted Excel file saved onto a USB that I use at work and at home and have no problems at home but when I open it at work it often opens it in protected view, then when I save it, it has started to give me one of two errors "object reference not set to an instance of an object" or "object passed must be a Word.Document object" and won't save the document. I then have to get the file off a backup. How do I get rid of these errors? How do I find whatever the object is that is in this document that is causing these errors? The file has a couple of screen shots in it but nothing that I know of that is different from other files I have that don't give me these errors.

I have Windows 10 and Office Home and Student 2013 at home but 8.1 and Office 365 ProPlus at work, although this shouldn't make a difference.

The file is a Excel 97-2003 worksheet .xls and I've tried to save it as a workbook to see if that solves the problem, but it won't let me as it says "the following features can't be saved in a macro-free workbook: VB project". I have tried to find out what that is but can't. If I try to continue saving or try and save as a macro-enabled workbook, it then says I have to first remove Excel 4.0 and 5.0 macros to be able to keep the password. I also tried to find out what those macros are to be able to remove them and can't. The file just has total formulas that I know of.

Please help! Thanks Donna

Hi Donna,

If only this file has this issues, we suggest you open it in protect view and copy the content into a new blank workbook created in Office 365, then save the new workbook instead. 

.xls is an old format from Excel 97-2003, it might cause some issues when processing it in the newer version of Excel. If you would like to use the original workbook, you could try converting it to .xlsx first: 

About the macros in the excel file, if you think you could use the workbook without them, you could just save it as .xlsx although it will pop up an error to remind you that the macros will not be kept in the workbook.

If you still cannot save the workbook, could you share us a copy of it for further troubleshooting? To protect your privacy, please send it via private message: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/privatemessage/inbox.

Regards,
Alex

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Donna,

I sent you the workbook via PM, you may check it here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/privatemessage/inbox

There are macros in the workbook. The macros created in 2004. I think that the reason for those errors. Excel 2007 doesn't permit macros in protected workbooks. I have saved it as .xlsm and .xlsx file. You could test them both and reply if they still have issues.

Regards,
Alex

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Donna,

You could open the Visual Basic window by clicking Alt+F11.
Or in File > Options > Customize Ribbon > Check the Developer Checkbox.

If you do not need the macros, you may click the model and remove it.

Regards,
Alex

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Donna,

Haven't heard from you for a while. Is there any update? Just reply at your convenience if you still need our assistance.

Regards,
Alex

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 24, 2023 Views 3,484 Applies to: