Excel 2010 is not responding when saving file

I have been using Excel 2010 (part of Office Professional 2010, 32-bit) on my home Windows 8 PC (64 bit) for several months without any problems. About one week ago I noticed that Excel would frequently stop responding when I try to save my file. The problem happens if I use "Save" or click on the "floppy-disk" symbol to Save. The "donut" symbol appears and the Excel header displays the message "Microsoft Excel ... (Not Responding)". The only way to proceed is to end the task using Task Manager, or right-click on the header and select "Close the Program". In either case the Excel file is lost and I'm left with something like "F4BA0000" or "124EB907.tmp" as a file.

Once this happens, I need to reboot my PC otherwise Excel will no longer save any file.

I've noticed the same thing happening sometimes with Word 2010 too.

Some of the things I've already tried:

1. Starting Excel in "safe" mode by holding the control key.

2. Installing all the latest Windows 8 and Office 2010 updates.

3. Turning off my anti-virus software.

4. Disconnecting my PC from the internet.

5. Setting the default printer to "Microsoft XPS Document Writer"

6. Turning off all Add-Ins (there is only one, the standard Analysis Toolpack)

7. "Repairing" Office 2010 (using Control Panel -> Programs & Features -> Change -> Repair) 

8. Using file formats for Excel 97-2003 (file.xls) or Excel 2010 (file.xlsx)

None of this has helped.

I've found that I can save the file if I used "Save As", but only if I use a new filename. Also, if I rename the "124EB907.tmp" file to "124EB907.xlsx" then I can open the file in Excel (but still not save it).

Any help or advise would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Question Info

Last updated August 20, 2018 Views 16,651 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello Greg,

From your description, I understand Excel crashes while attempting to save the file.

I will work with you to resolve this issue.

I see that you've already attempted to resolve this issue by trying few troubleshooting steps. In addition to that, follow the below mentioned steps as well and verify the result:

1) Close all the programs and delete all the files from Temp folder following below mentioned instructions and then try working in Excel and verify the result.

Hold Windows key +R.
Copy and paste, or type the following command in the Open box, and then press Enter:
%Temp%

2) Delete if you find any files from XLSTART folder mentioned below and then open Excel and try saving it.
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\XLSTART

3) If issue still persists, create new Windows user account and see if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows/create-user-account#create-user-account=windows-8

You may also check the Event Viewer logs and post back logs related to Excel to help you better.

a) Initiate Run by pressing the Windows Hot Key + R. Now type eventvwr.msc and press Enter on your keyboard to launch the event viewer application.

b) When Event Viewer opens up you can look at the left pane and view the logs regarding the specific action (Microsoft Office) on Windows 8.

I hope the above suggestions helps to resolve your issue. Take your time to try the suggestion and let me know the results at your earliest convenience.

Thank You.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Daniel,

Thank you for helping me with the issue!

To clarify the issue, Excel freezes (stops responding) when I attempt to save the file. Excel doesn't close or exit entirely until I end Excel using Task Manager or select "close the program".

I've followed your suggestions, with these results:

1. Following your instructions, I found a series of "*.TMP" files and "*.tmp.cvr" files, and I deleted them all (There were also some "*.log" files and other folders, but I did not delete these). Next, I also ran "CCleaner".

This did not fix the problem.

2. The folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14 exists on my PC, but the folder "XLSTART" does not.

I did find another XLSTART folder at this location:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

but this folder was empty.

3. I created a new user account (a local account). For a while this looked like it might have fixed the issue because I used Excel for quite a while (a few minutes) without any problems. But eventually I encountered the same problem as before.

4. I was able to start Event Viewer, but I'm not very familiar with this tool. I do see events like this one relating to Excel:

"Event 1002, Application Hang

The program EXCEL.EXE version 14.0.7109.5000 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.

Process ID: 14f4

Start Time: 01cecd7b36e04aa5

Termination Time: 0

Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\EXCEL.EXE

Report Id: a55bf9b4-396e-11e3-bfb3-94de80776a40

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:"

and this one relating to Word:

"Event 1002, Application Hang

The program WINWORD.EXE version 14.0.7109.5000 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.

Process ID: 16e0

Start Time: 01cecd66feba8e58

Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\WINWORD.EXE

Report Id: 8f761acb-395a-11e3-bfb2-94de80776a40

Faulting package-relative application ID:"

If there is anything else I can send you that will help diagnose the problem, please let me know.

One thing I haven't tried yet is uninstalling and re-installing Office.

Thanks again for your help.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Greg,

Thank you for replying with the results.

Let's start the computer in clean boot state and then try working in Office applications and verify the result:

This is to check whether issue is cause due to any 3rd party programs interference.

If Office application works as expected, perform advanced clean boot to determine the problem causing program.
Check the section 'How to determine what is causing the problem by performing a clean boot' from KB 929135 for instructions to performance advanced clean boot.

Follow the instructions mentioned in the link below for instructions on how to start the computer in clean boot:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Ensure to restart the computer in normal mode after troubleshooting.

Hope this helps. Reply with the result and I'll be glad to further assist you.

Thank You.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Daniel,

Before I saw your last response, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Office 2010. This proved much more problematic than I anticipated, as the install would freeze before it completed. After much time trying to find an explanation for this new problem, I found I had to disable System Restore. After that I found I could complete the new Office 2010 install.

I don't know if I could call this a completely clean install, because I found that most of my previous settings were retained (i.e. the settings did not return to the default Office 2010 settings).

In any case, this did not fix my initial problem, and I still found that my Office applicatons would frequently freeze when saving. As before, the problem is intermittent ... it does not happen every time.

Next I installed all the Office 2010 updates. Again, the freezing problem was still there.

Next I tried your 'clean boot' suggestion. I disabled all non-Microsoft services (I found two services relating to my Bitdefender anti-virus software that could not be disabled, however, I turned off the anti-virus software in the Bitdefender window) and all items in Startup and I rebooted. Unfortunately, I found the same problem as before. That is, Excel and Word still stop responding when saving.

Could this problem be caused by a recent critical update to Windows 8? I never saw this problem before a few weeks ago. I've installed no new applications recently, I've only installed Windows 8 updates and Office 2010 updates, a graphics driver update, and new virus definitions.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Daniel,

I don't know how to explain it, but so far today Excel and Word are both working fine. I've been using them both for a few hours now without any issues, which contrasts to yesterday's experience where I would typically encounter the "not responding" problem within a few minutes.

I have changed nothing on my PC since the results I reported yesterday, except of course returning my PC to normal boot and the Auto Update of virus definitions.

Possibly I'm speaking too soon, but I just thought I should let you know.

Thanks

Sorry this didn't help.

having the same problems : January 2014...  started about 2-4 weeks ago...almost a daily occurrence now...

I just find the temporary file, & open that & re-save... When excel 2010  is re-opened it has no idea it crashed... no recovery mechanism....  so just make my own back up files every day.

Windows 8.1, 64X ... been using office for years without any issues...  

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

Please provide more information to help you better:

1) Have you tried performing any troubleshooting steps to resolve this issue?

2) Do you receive any error when Excel crashes?

Let's install Office Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT) and generate report for Excel and post it back to know more about the issue.

Install Office Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT) from the following article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2812744

You may also click on the option Click here to see possible solutions to this issue and check if there is any solution offered to resolve this issue.

Hope the above information helps. Reply with necessary information and the result to help you further.

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Daniel,

I just wanted to let you know that the problem has reoccurred starting yesterday. In fact, the problem has occurred on several occasions since my last posting in October 2013. Typically, the problem will persist for a few days, then it will disappear entirely for several weeks, and then it will start again for no apparent reason.

The problem occurs when saving Word, Excel, or PowerPoint files.

The only routine changes to my PC are to install the critical Microsoft updates and the daily updates to my virus definitions.

I ran OffCAT today, and it reported just one issue that I don't believe is relevant (since I do not use SharePoint). The reported item was "Miscellaneous. The WebClient service is not running and this will cause problems opening or saving Office documents from a SharePoint site. Please start the WebClient service using the Services.msc snap-in."

Recently I have been in contact with Bitdefender support to see if their anti-virus software might be causing the issue. They are still looking into it and I'm waiting to hear back from them.

As a reminder, I am running Windows 8.0 and Office 2010.

If you have any advice, please let me know. Thank you

Sorry this didn't help.

Having the same problems - an Excel "not responding" error in trying to save, with the existing file deleted and replaced by two files - one named something like 43C3E000 with no extension and another 466BD923 with a "tmp" extension. 

It is possible just to rename with an excel extension and run the file. 

I have gone through all the suggestions noted above, without success (also have excluded Excel and files from Bitdefender's clutches).  As above, this is inconsistent.  After working well for weeks, today I cannot save and I have had no new programs installed. No Windows updates this week.  Very frustrating. 

The event viewer doesn't appear to provide much to go on, except to note an application hang :

Log Name:      Application

Source:        Application Hang

Date:          3/7/2014 9:55:59 PM

Event ID:      1002

Task Category: (101)

Level:         Error

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      JDM8500

Description:

The program EXCEL.EXE version 14.0.7109.5000 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.

Process ID: 20

Start Time: 01cf3a92f52268b1

Application Path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\EXCEL.EXE

Report Id: 4c30753a-a686-11e3-bee0-f4b7e2ada44e

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Application Hang" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">1002</EventID>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>101</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-03-08T05:55:59.000000000Z" />

<EventRecordID>9611</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>JDM8500</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>EXCEL.EXE</Data>

<Data>14.0.7109.5000</Data>

<Data>20</Data>

<Data>01cf3a92f52268b1</Data>

<Data>0</Data>

<Data>C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\EXCEL.EXE</Data>

<Data>4c30753a-a686-11e3-bee0-f4b7e2ada44e</Data>

<Data>

</Data>

<Data>

</Data>

<Binary>55006E006B006E006F0077006E0000000000</Binary>

</EventData>

</Event>

Sorry this didn't help.

This may be an answer to all your problems. Go into services by clicking "Windows Key" and "R" to open up the run dialog box and type "services", scroll down and double check your Webclient service is running. If it is set to manual, it will not automatically start. Right click, go into Properties and set it to Automatic. Then click the start button to start the service.

Solved all of my problems overnight.

Hope that helps?

Kind regards

Steve

41 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.