O365 File Share Not Showing in "Shared with Me" or in "Recent"

Greetings,

I have and end user that has been granted access to share/edit an Excel file. The Owner of the file sent the share request via Excel Share-->Enter email address-->"Allow Edit" checkbox checked.

The end user received an email with a link and was able to open and edit the document. However, he cannot see it in the "Shared with Me" or even in his "Recents" list in Excel (E3 license with Desktop apps; NOT using online Excel). He can see other files that are shared with him just fine.

I am our tenant Admin so I went into the Owner's OneDrive and shared the file with me. I cannot see it in "Shared with Me" either, but it does show up in "Recents." I have read that the "Shared with Me" can take a little bit of time, but the "Recents" should show up right away. We have also already tried stopping the share and re-sharing it...same result.

Any ideas of what may be going on or how to resolve this?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Jay,

Welcome to the Answers community.

You may have received an email/reply to your question with a number suggesting that you call Microsoft. Do NOT call, it’s a scam. The phone number does not belong to Microsoft, the scam post has been deleted and the user’s profile is inactive now.

From your post, I believe the owner and recipient of the Excel workbook that you have referred in this post are from the same organization. The recipient is trying to open the shared workbook from Shared with me tab, but the workbook is not visible here. The issue is only with one workbook rest other shared workbooks appear just fine. Correct?

May I know which option did the owner select to share the workbook (please refer the screenshot below)?

The Recent tab will show the files which we have accessed/opened recently. Based on your post, I tested on my end, from User A account, I shared a workbook with specific people option with User B. When User B opened Excel application, the shared workbook was visible in Shared with me tab. Once this workbook was opened, it started showing in Recent tab.

Besides, please make user’s Office applications are fully updated. To check version information, open Word or Excel on the computer, click File>Account, check for the info mentioned under Product Information. The latest version for the current channel is 2007 (Build 13029.20344). For other channel version info, see Update history for Office 365 ProPlus.

If the Office version is not updated as mentioned in the article, please install updates and check if the issue remains. To know how to install updates, see Install Office updates

If the issue remains, please confirm the following information:

1. Please provide the screenshot of Microsoft 365 Product Information. To get this screenshot, open any Office app such as Word or Excel on the affected system, click File>Account, capture the screenshot of all the information mentioned under Product Information.
  2. Which option owner selected to send the shared link?
  3. For the test purpose, suggest the owner to share another workbook to confirm if the issue is with all the Excel workbooks shared by the same person.
  4. What is the file format of the affected workbook? Is it .xlsx or xls?

Let me know the status. Have a nice day and stay safe😊

Regards,

Neha

-----------
•Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.
•Please let us know if this is helpful and if the solution worked for you, as it can benefit others who are facing the same scenario.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Jay,

Did you check the above reply? If you still need help, please update us when you have time.

Regards,

Neha

-----------
•Please let us know if this is helpful and if the solution worked for you, as it can benefit others who are facing the same scenario.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

1. See below

2. They used the "Share" feature from the File menu

3. A different workbook has been shared, however, user 2 is out of the office for a few days

4. It is .XLSX format

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jay,

Thanks for the information.

Based on my test, the shared file will appear in Shared with me tab in Excel, it may take a while for the shared file to appear in this section, though.

To re-confirm, both, sender and receiver are from the same organization and this is not the case of external sharing, correct?

Also, if the shared workbook is still not appearing, then please suggest the user to re-start Excel application and check again, is required re-start the computer.

Besides, please suggest the same user to share another workbook with the same recipient and check if the new workbook appears.

Regards,

Neha

-----------

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Both sender and receiver are in the same organization and the file is being shared out of OneDrive for Business.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jay,

May I know if the recipient can see the workbook in the Shared section in his/her OneDrive for business on the browser?

I understand the user 2 is out of office, when the user returns, please check if the different workbook you mentioned in your earlier reply that is shared appears in Shared section in both, Excel desktop application and OneDrive for business (browser).

Thanks,

Neha

-----------

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It does show in the OneDrive online Shared. I did double check Excel again and the file still does not show there. For reference, it looks like the file was shared 15 days ago.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

User 1 did share another workbook with User 2. User 2 received the email and clicked on which opened in the Excel desktop app. Closing it out and reopening Excel did not show the file in Shared with Me nor in the Recents.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jay,

Thanks for the confirmation.

So, if I understand correctly, all the files that user A have shared does not appear in Shared with me section of Excel application at user B’s end. Correct? I want to confirm if this is related to permission issue or the way the file was shared. May I know which option did user A selected to share the workbook (please refer the screenshot below)?    

I understand you too tried sharing the file with you from user A’s account and you too didn’t see the file in Shared with me section of Excel application. May I further confirm if the issue is with Excel files only, what about Word or PowerPoint files?

Besides, a new version of Current Channel is released, please try updating Office to v 2008 (Build 13127.20296) and check if this makes any difference.

To know how to install updates, see Install Office updates

Regards,

Neha

-----------

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Correct, User 2 does not see the file int he Shared with Me section of the Office 365 product. The shared files have always been Excel, not shares with Word of PowerPoint have been shared so I cannot confirm that Excel is the only product.

User 1 did the following to share the workbook:

Clicked “file” à “Share” then clicked the “People in (Organization's Name) button, selected “specific people” and “allow editing” then “Apply”. Then I entered User2's name and selected his email and hit Send. 

Here is a screenshot of the email User 2 received:

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 23, 2024 Views 2,765 Applies to: