How to keep Office Scripts created in Excel online from displaying in every Excel file

I have noticed that Office Scripts created in an Excel Online file are accessible through other Excel Online workbooks' Script Galleries.  However in this Microsoft article, it says, "Office Scripts can be shared with other users of an Excel workbook. When you share a script with others in a workbook, the script is attached to the workbook."

That seems to imply that an office script is only available to the workbook where it is created, which would make sense since Office Scripts can otherwise accumulate in the Script Gallery list even though a script created for one workbook is of no use to other workbooks.  So unless you then use a good naming convention when you create a script, how do you remember which script was created for which Workbook?  But that isn't what I'm seeing.  Instead, scripts from different workbooks all display in the Script Gallery no matter which Excel Online file is open.

So my question is whether it is expected behavior for scripts from all workbooks to display in the Script Gallery for any given Excel Online Workbook and if so, is there an easy way that I am obviously missing to tell which script(s) belongs with which workbook? And if this is not expected behavior, has my organization missed a setting? Or what exactly am I doing wrong and how does a person keep these scripts organized??

Answer
Answer
If anyone would like to see an option where you can choose whether, or not, to see all scripts from all of your workbooks in a workbook's Script Gallery, please vote for this:   https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/274580-excel-for-the-web/suggestions/41770969-ability-to-hide-an-office-script-created-in-one-ex

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hi Stewie's Mom,

Thank you for posting in this community.

Since Office Scripts is a new feature. And it isn’t released to our test account for now, We couldn’t test it for you.

However, according to the articles your provided, we can know that the Office scripts is stored in user’s OneDrive for Business. As you mentioned “scripts from different workbooks all display in the Script Gallery no matter which Excel Online file is open.”

And refer to Announcing Office Scripts (Preview) - Microsoft Tech Community, once the Office script is saved to OneDrive for Business, it can be easily reused across workbooks.

So that means, the script is not only available to the workbook where it is created, it can be reused to other workbooks. That’s why there’s no information to show which script is from which workbook. Because they can all be used in other workbooks.

So this is an expected behavior for scripts from all workbooks to display in the Script Gallery for any given Excel Online Workbook.

And to easily identify your scripts, I would recommend you set up a unique and specific name for each script. And you can rename your scripts with good description information. The only one thing may affect is that, based on Sharing Office Scripts in Excel for the Web - Excel (microsoft.com), some actions can only be done by script owner. But it’s easy to find the owner information in code editor.

Best Regards,

May

-----------------------
* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.
* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps, as it will be beneficial to more community members reading here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 4, 2020 Views 59 Applies to: