Geography data with #UNKNOWN! error

Hello,

This is mostly Excel issue but is connected to Word as well. 

In Word file I inserted XY Scatter chart and formatted plot area to use map image and both X and Y axis to use coordinates for US (see below).

In Excel data column B is using Geography Data type. Column C is using '=[@City].Longitude' formula and is data for X-axis. Column D is using '=[@City].Latitude' and is data for Y-axis. 

All of that resulting in locations correctly marked on the map. 

The problem is that when I send the file to my client and he opens Excel to add more locations this is what happens:

My Office: Microsoft 365 Apps for enterprise (Version 2104)
Client's Office: Microsoft 365 Apps for enterprise (Version 2008)

File was tested and works fine for my colleagues, crashes when opened by client. 

Any ideas what might be causing the issue? 

Hi Kinga87PL,

So sorry for this inconvenience caused to you and thank you for sharing the experience with us.

To investigate this issue, I just made a test in my environment. And I found I could repro this issue.

According to my research and test, I think this issue should be due to your client’s Excel desktop app. It is version 2008. It is too old, and the data type is not available in this version.  

So, you may suggest your client to open the files (you shared) via their web browser. Office Online should support these features.

If your client is preferred to use the file in their desktop apps, you may suggest your client to update their apps. And if your client is using Semi-annual Channel, they may need to switch to a faster channel to get updates to use the data type. Since This data type is not available in Semi-annual Channel yet.

(We recommend Current Channel, because it provides your users with the newest Office features as soon as they are ready.)

And for more information:

Change the Microsoft 365 Apps update channel for devices in your organization - Deploy Office | Microsoft Docs

Overview of update channels for Microsoft 365 Apps - Deploy Office | Microsoft Docs

Moreover, if you need further help, feel free to contact me.

Best Regards,

May

-----------------------
* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.
* Once complete conversation about this topic, kindly Mark and Vote any replies to benefit others reading this thread.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi, Kinga87PL,

May I know if you need further help?

If so, please feel free to contact me. And I will further assist  you.

Best Regards,

May

-----------------------
* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.
* Once complete conversation about this topic, kindly Mark and Vote any replies to benefit others reading this thread.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi May, 

Thank you so much for such a quick response! 

I’m waiting for client’s feedback but I suspect the issue might relate to something different than version being too old, as this error occurs only on selected files and not all of them. For files with limited number of locations everything works fine but with those with many locations it suddenly doesn’t cooperate. 

I thought that maybe those few files are corrupted somehow, but again checked with my teammates and it works well for them. 

Still trying to figure out why error appears only on certain files... please let me know if you have any ideas how this can be further investigated :)

Cheers

Kinga

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Kinga, I too am having this issue and agree it's ONLY when sending a file to another user with MANY geo-tagged locations, as the files I send/receive with only a few locations work fine...my particular file has 3000 US counties and they all show as #UNKNOWN when other users open the file.

@May, any thoughts on this?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 7, 2022 Views 401 Applies to: