Excel Saving to Network, "Document Not Saved"

Hi there,

We have several users that just updated to the 1709 patch (we delay upgrades for 60 days).

After the update, we're getting reports of users not being able to save consistently to the network shares.

It doesn't matter if that server is in the office or remote, they have intermittent issues saving.

I am also able to replicate the issue, but for me it happens randomly, I'll click save about 25-35 times and then will reach the error.

However, my non-admin account gets the issue every 2-10 saves. And what I mean by saves, to quickly replicate the issue, I simply hit save, wait for the save and hit save again.

Another test that is perhaps more lengthy but quicker to recreate the issue is to do a Save As. Though sometimes after doing so, it too takes a lot of saves to replicate. As I said, the issue is completely random and not consistent.

There are a few slightly different error messages, the most popular being "Document Not Saved". At times, we get another error that mentions something along the lines of, "Document was not saved, if you would like to continue you can try saving the file under a different name" (Continue and a Cancel button are the options.)

There is also one more error message, but it essentially all leads back to "Document Not Saved".

As I've said, the users have the 1709 patch and then we started seeing this issues popping up. At the moment, it's four users with the issue and approximately 75% of our users in total have the Fall Creators Update.

I've ruled out Antivirus, I've shut down the antivirus on my machine and was still able to replicate the issue. (plus I have Windows Defender and the other users have Trend.)

I've ruled out any sort of super rare permission issues with groups, at first my thinking was....maybe there is some kind of weird error going on since I have groups added to my account with the same permissions as another. (we have an IT group that we added to folders somewhat recently, so I had older groups added on that granted me permission to the files I've been using for testing.)

Anyway, I have not yet been able to replicate the issue locally on the SSDs.

We have Dell machines, I'm using a Surface pro 4, machine model successfully ruled out.

I created a support request through Office 365, they were absolutely no help, though we did several troubleshooting steps.

If anyone can offer any sort of help please let us know, thank you for your time.

(OH and of course I have tried to completely remove Office from my machine (and a users) while completely and manually removing anything office related thereafter. Including running a CCleaner registry that will find not used Office entries and delete them. Then I reinstalled office...and still have the same issues.)

TLDR: Users have issues after the 1709 patch saving to any of our network shares from Excel. Issue is intermittent, Latest Office (and a step before the latest). "Document Not Saved" is the error message. No helpful events in Event Viewer. 

Answer
Answer

Hey all,

I wanted to share the solution Microsoft shared with me as a work around until the known issue is resolved in a upcoming release of ATP. I have not confirmed this solved the issue but the support tech seemed confident that this would resolve our issue. I will report back if we still see the issue later this week. Hope this helps! 

In order for WDATP provide special configuration for specific machines, we require a registry value to be set so that we’ll be able to fetch the correct configuration. Please set the following:

• •            Key: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Advanced Threat Protection\
  • •            Value Name: GroupIds
  • •            Value Type: REG_SZ (string)
  • •            Value: exclude_network_share

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Jim, I have already done that, my new post is here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/saving-to-network-issues-windows-10-enterprise/4eb1c961-0d77-4fb7-8c42-dc02b584bdfa?tm=1524495934500

Anyway, after initial testing of offboarding a device from ATP, so far the results are good. The machine with ATP taken off does NOT have the "Document not saved" issue or either of the other two issues.

I'm going to go ahead and offboard two or three users today and see what happens. 

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 8, 2023 Views 18,182 Applies to: