Bug in Excel 2016 (Version 1707): Excel starts with no default workbook or start page if an XLL is installed

By default, when you starts Excel from the Start menu, Excel is started with the Startup screen showing the File->New backstage screen. 

In recent version of Excel 2016 (I'm testing with 32-bit Version 1707 - 16.0.8326.2062), when an XLL Excel add-in is installed, Excel start up with no startup screen. In the past, installing an XLL Excel Add-in did not change this start-up behaviour, es expected. 

Similarly, if you've turned the Startup screen off (say, as described at https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Turn-off-the-Start-screen-1f2834b4-09d4-490d-9c04-5d9f1b25ff70), then starting Excel should create a default workbook called Workbook1. But, if you have an XLL Excel add-in installed, Excel starts with no default workbook opened.

To sum up, if any XLL Excel add-in is installed, Excel incorrectly opens in the "all workbooks are closed" state (when you start it from the Start Menu).

Detailed steps to create an XLL Excel add-in, install it and test:

• Install Visual Studio 2017 with C++ tools.
  • Download and install the Excel 2013 XLL Software Development Kit from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-za/download/details.aspx?id=35567
  • Open a "Developer Command Prompt for VS 2017" and then change directory to the SAMPLES subdirectory of the XLL SDK.
  • Rebuild the samples by entering "MAKE.BAT RELEASE BUILD X86" at the developer command prompt.
  • Check that the file SAMPLES\EXAMPLE\RELEASE\EXAMPLE.xll has been created.
  • Open Excel and press Alt t, i to open the Add-ins dialog. Press Browse and navigate to select the EXAMPLE.xll add-in. It should display as "Example Standalone DLL", with the checkmark next to it. Click OK - a message will pop up indicating that the add-in was installed.
  • Close Excel and reopen.
  • Notice that Excel has opened with no Workbook, and with the Recent / New backstage display that is normally displayed.
  • Create a new workbook, press Alt t, i to display the Add-ins dialog and remove the add-in.
  • Close Excel and reopen to confirm that everything is back to normal.

I have tested this with various different .XLL Excel add-ins, including native C++ add-ins like the sample from the official Excel SDK, and using add-ins created with the Excel-DNA library.

The problem was initially reported and discussed on the MSDN forum here: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/2bb21bfb-4940-4a68-9656-743ae0b8b4da/bug-in-excel-2016-excel-starts-with-no-default-workbook-or-start-page-if-an-xll-is-registered?forum=exceldev 

-Govert

|

Hi Govert,

Thanks for sharing your experience.

In this case, I’ll suggest you provide the feedback to Excel team from Excel 2016 application by clicking on File>Feedback.

Additionally, this month on Aug 7th another Office 2016 update was released i.e. Version 1707 (Build 8326.2070, you can update your Office version and check if the problem persists.

Regards,

Neha

-------------------------
* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps, as it will be beneficial to more community members reading here.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Neha,

I can confirm that the bug is still present in version 16.0.8326.2073.

I have reported this issue through the File->Feedback feature too.

Regards,

Govert

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Neha,

I can confirm that the bug is still present in version 16.0.8326.2073.

I have reported this issue through the File->Feedback feature too.

Regards,

Govert

I'm seeing the same behavior on 16.0.8201.2193.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 30, 2020 Views 429 Applies to: