Inconsistent row heights in Excel table

I have an excel table with varying lines of text per row. The rows and cells are all formatted identically and all set to auto-height.

This issue I'm having is that some rows are displaying with text tight to the top and bottom borders while others have a varying amount of blank space above and below the text. I can find no reason for this inconsistency.

The issue is then compounded as whenever I print (either to paper or pdf) the rows with blank space display fine, but the rows in which text is tight to the border loose some of the top and bottom lines.

I have tried:

• Format painting.
  • Manually setting row heights then returning to auto.
  • Copying cells.
  • Inserting new rows.
  • Copying entire table to a new worksheet.

I can find no reason for the inconsistency. Can anyone give any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance,

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thank you for reporting this concern to us. I hope that you are having a good day despite the issue that you are encountering with Excel.

For us to be able to isolate the cause of your concern, kindly provide the following information:

• When did the issue first occur?
  • Have you made any recent changes before you encounter the issue?
  • Are you the one who created the file? If yes, how did you try to enter the data on each rows? Did you copied and paste the data?
  • Does the issue occur on a specific file?

In the meantime, I suggest that you try to create a new file and manually type the data at least for 2nd to 5th row to see if the same issue will occur.

I am looking forward to your response.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Ma Lau,

Thanks for your response. I've been looking at this again and have a few more findings which will hopefully help with finding a solution.

With regards to your questions first:

• When did the issue first occur?
    • I've been working on this document on and off for a couple of months. I believe I first saw the issue fairly early on but didn't make anything of it at the time.
  • Have you made any recent changes before you encounter the issue?
    • As above.
  • Are you the one who created the file? If yes, how did you try to enter the data on each rows? Did you copied and paste the data?
    • Yes, I am the original and only author of the file. Data has been added through a variety of direct entry, copy and paste and use of autofill for identical cells.
  • Does the issue occur on a specific file?
    • I've only noticed it on this particular spreadsheet, but the text content of this sheet is larger than most others I use.

Following your suggestion I created a new file and began typing the first few rows. As I was doing this I found what I believe to be the route of the problem and it seems to be linked to a combination of text wrapping and column widths. Many cells in the spreadsheet have a large amount of text, using 'alt+space' to directly format this across multiple lines and some of the longer lines are also split by text wrap. While adjusting the columns in this new spreadsheet I found that the width was affecting the amount of blank space above and below the text in each cell. Testing this on the original spreadsheet I found it to be the same.

Each cell seems to have a 'sweet spot' in terms of width which displays a nice moderate sized gap both above and below the text in each cell.  Adjust this slightly and there will be no gap, text just butts up against the cell border. Adjust it further and excel seems to leave the small gaps plus a blank line for every line that had been text wrapped.

I recreated the problem here. This variation in row height was created simply by entering the text then adjusting the width of column A.

A1: Text typed across three lines using alt+space

A2: Text typed as one line then split by text wrapping

A3: Text typed across two lines using alt+space, was also split by text wrapping before the column was widened.

I hope that sheds a little more light on the situation. Ideally I want to be able to have all cells format as A2 in the above picture, but ultimately just some consistency would be nice.

Many thanks,

Chris

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for getting back to us, Chris.

This is an alignment issue and the app is working as it should since you use the ALT+space key. What we have experienced is app limitation. With that being said, I highly recommend that you raise suggestion through UserVoice. Our software engineers would be glad to hear any feedback and reports to help them determine what to further improve on our Office applications.

If there's anything else that we can help you with, please do not hesitate to reply here and we will further assist you.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for your response. At least I know that, for now, I'll just need to manually adjust row heights. 

Sorry this didn't help.

We appreciate your patience here, Chris.

Let us help our software engineer hear your feedback which will help them determine what to further improve on our Office applications by reporting this to out UserVoice Forum.

Best regards,

Ma. Lau

Keep safe and healthy!

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 29, 2020 Views 38 Applies to: