Excel 2016 - Data Labels on Graphs disappear when graph is filtered

Good Morning,

I am having an issue with Excel 2016 on both 64bit and 32bit versions. I have a bar graph with multiple months, and when I hit select data and filter out several months, data labels for half of the graph disappear. This was working fine up until last week. There was Windows updates to my PC and after that I started having issues with graphs in excel.

I even tried to add in a data table at the bottom of the graph and the headers are missing for same periods that were missing the data labels. 

Has anyone seen this bug? Do anyone have a solution for a work around with out using a previous version of excel?

Thank you 

Question Info

Last updated August 14, 2019 Views 723 Applies to:

Hi ltank5577

It is true that there are cases when an update causes an issue to an application. This usually happens if an update was not successfully installed or if there were system conflicts triggered after installing. Does this issue replicates to all of your Excel files that contain data labels and graphs or just to a specific one? Have you tried opening the file online to check if the same issue happens?

In the meantime, I'd recommend installing the latest Office updates. Keeping your Office application up-to-date ensures that you'll get new and improved features, latest security updates and fixes too. 

Once you have already installed all latest updates, you may try opening Office apps in safe mode to check if a certain add-in is causing the issue. If the issue still persists when you launch Excel in safe mode, you can try to repair Office. For more information, go to Repair an Office application

If repairing Office still didn't resolve the issue, it would be best if we can replicate this on our end to further isolate the problem. We suggest sending a copy of the file to us via a Private Message. You may reply to the private message we have sent you by going to My Profile, then click View private messages

Kindly update us with the result and let us know if you need further help.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.