Disable High Contrast Mode for Excel/Office ONLY

Hello, yes. 

I just upgraded to whatever the current version of Excel is and it seems that High Contrast mode interfering with colors is still a thing. 

You see, I have Irlen Syndrome, particularly sensitivity to white/blue light. The dark skin on Windows 10 still has god awful white bars for inactive windows and elsewhere so I'm stuck as a second class citizen on windows with High contrast mode. A side effect of this is that MS Office is also stuck in high contrast mode. 

I cannot apply color anywhere in excel, which makes sorting data hard. I've resigned to using Google Sheets, which is pathetic seeing as how I pay money for Office.  

I cannot change the background color of Word (I read better on a color than black my dudes) meaning if I want to proofread my stuff I need to blow up the font to size massive or print out the paperwork. 

Is there some way to turn it off in excel/word that I'm missing or has Microsoft once again failed Irlen people like me who need to get rid of white, not color?

Question Info

Last updated December 9, 2018 Views 110 Applies to:

Hi,

We understand that you'd like to be able to disable the High-contrast mode when using the Office apps. 

I believe that this would be a great feature for Office apps, but since this setting is embedded in Windows, this task is not yet possible at the moment. However, we encourage you to send a feedback to Excel UserVoice or Feedback Hub app in Windows. Feedback are important as it consistently help us in enhancing our products and features.

Please feel free to post back if you still have concerns regarding this one. Alternatively, if you have other concerns that you'd like to be assisted to, you have the option to post a new thread. Rest assured that we're still here to assist you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.