The name "YYY" already exists. Lcick Yes to use that version of the name, or click No to rename the version of "YYY" you're moving or copying

Hi. 

I have been working on a Excel sheet for work. 

The idea is to have one sheet and create a copy this same sheet in the same workbook as many times needed. 

I have created some macros and also some drop boxes. Initially I was had created copies of that sheet without any message but now I get the following: 

The name "YYY" already exists. Click Yes to use that version of the name, or click No to rename the version of "YYY" you're moving or copying. 

I get it 10 times. If I click YES to all of them I can create the copy and keep working. 

I have read the other forums in regards this error but if not very clear to me or it doesn't apply. 

Could I please have some feedback on how to remove this message every time i want to create a new copy? 

I think the problem started once I had the Workbook protected. As it is going to be saved on the server at work ans since my file has so many formulas I don't want anybody playing with it. 

Also, Before I protected it, once I open the file, I was getting a pop-up message and i could work fine. 

i will appreciate your help, since I haven't been able how to solve it. 

THANK YOU

Answer
Answer

Hi,

This problem arises when you have copies worksheets from other workbooks into this one.  What happens in this case is that the named ranges also get copies.  Go to Formulas > Name Manager and filter on all names which refer to external workbooks.  Delete all those names and save your file.  Save the file and shut down Excel.  Reopen Excel and open the Excel workbook.  Now you should be able to copy worksheets.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ashish Mathur
www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

322 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 11, 2024 Views 51,532 Applies to: